GS650 Gas Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Gas Leak

Hey guys, 1st post on the forum, and I'm sad to say that its to do with a problem... I have in fact searched/read a ton of posts on this forum and other forums in regards to the matter, and can't seem to find an answer...

I purchased a 1982 GS650 about a month ago that was in great condition, with no problems. I put about 200 miles on it over a few weekends, and everything was great.

Right now the issue I'm having with the bike, is that I can't seem to get it to stop leaking gas...It only leaks when the bike is turned on (stops leaking once its off) I've already taken apart the carbs, and done a full clean (thanks to the wonderful post by John Bloemer)... put them back on only to find it was still leaking... I went ahead and purchased a full K&L carb rebuild kit for all 4 carbs and a gallon of carb dip... just finished re-cleaning and rebuilding the carbs last night only to find yet again that its still leaking. It seems to still leak when the the petcock is in the on/res position. When I put it into the prime position, gas literally starts pouring.... All of the fuel lines/hoses are in good shape, and don't seem to be leaking... the gas is dripping along the carburetors, not from the gas line connecting to the fuel tank.

Don't know if this will help at all, but a few days before I noticed the leak, my nephew decided to put the bike up on rear stand and clean the chain. When he was finished, he didn't think to ask for help in taking the bike off the stand... he tried to take it down, and the bike did fall on its side to the right. He said he threw his body under it, so it didn't land too hard...

Anyways, I'm pretty close to just taking it into a shop to get checked out, but thought I'd post first to see if anyone could help?

Thanks!

Don't take it to a shop or you'll get ripped off.

I'd look at your petcock as it sounds like it's bad. It is supposed to pour when on Prime without vacuum restriction but not on on/reserve. Also look at where the fuel line connects to the carbs as it could have been knocked loose when it fell on him.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Make sure the petcock is not allowing gas down the vacuum line.

As for the leaking, either the petcock is bad or you have float needles that are not sealing.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you take it to a shop, they are going to cram some make-shift O-ring in the petcock, slam you with a $300 bill, just because they can.

Then it will leak again in 2 weeks, and you'll sputter back to the dealership. Now they claim to "really" know what the problem is this time......surely you can believe them! Then you get slammed with Another $300 bill, so you just PAID for their mistake/ignorance the First time, plus a Second time!

Then it will leak again.....it's a vicious circle.

Comment

This says bad petcock- not shutting off reliably when engine is not running. eliminate this problem completely and then focus on carbs themselves. see link below- brand new petcock $45. hardware stores sell the special sealing washers that go under petcock bolts.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When the engine is off, there isn't any gas leaking. It's only when the bike is trying to start when I notice gas starting to leak( I haven't been able to start the bike to see if it leaks while on, since the carb rebuild the other day...)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Nabsturr,

Start here: Overflowing Carbs

The aftermarket carb rebuilt kits are not ideal for rebuilding your carbs, they contain inferior parts. All you need is the carb dip and an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com. Re-use all of the hardware unless it is worn or damaged. If so, replace only with real OEM Suzuki parts. Make sure the float heights are properly set.

Moving on, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X