!980 GS 1000G Carb rebuild money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!980 GS 1000G Carb rebuild money pit

Looking for some help. I have a 1980 GS 1000G that I have had for 4 years. I love the bike and the ride. I have ridden the bike many miles and even road from Ky to Minnisota and back. I got the bike in a trade and know very little about it. Last year I started to have prob.s with the floats and gas leaking. This spring I found a shop that worked on the older bikes and the owner has a small colection of older bikes. I took it to him and ask him to look into the carbs. First it was the charging system then the tail lights then he changed the oil. After all of that he took a look at the carbs. He found that the last owner made a epoxy repair to the float tower where he got rough and broke it off. After time the gas un did the repair and let the float loose. He found a doner carb for $150 and started to clean and repair. After 3 months I forced him to give me my bike back and when I road it, I only road it down the street and back. I payed him way more than we talked of and I went home. That night I road one hour hard to a ballgame. Then back home. The first three miles it ran ok. Not as good as befor but ok. I stoped for a light and had to slip the clutch just to get through the light. Sounded like it was way to rich. After some in town driving I was able to open her up to 65 70 mph.She ran rough and had a random hesitation at 45 to 50 mph. 30 min later in the next town same thing at the light. On the way home way after dark I was pulling to the house and it died. I found a fuse bad and replaced it. The next ride same thing. strong pick up cold then miss when hot in the mid range. From 55 to 80 it has strong power. I took the stock filter off to look and they had cut a pice of card board and closed off the whole bottom of the filter. I took the filter out and took a test ride and the bike runs a lot better but still has a dead spot in the mid range. I know he did some thing to the jets but not sure what. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a 4 carb sink and did it my self. The bike has a stock filter but has a 4 to 1 vance hines pipe. every thing else is stock. I dont mind to spend the money to fix it just dont want to through money at something that wont fix the prob. Anyone have an idea of a good starting place to get me back riding?

Originally posted by JBROWE View Post
    Anyone have an idea of a good starting place to get me back riding?
    Learn to fix the carburetors yourself.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I rebuild carbs but you've already spent enough.
      Last edited by chef1366; 06-04-2012, 04:25 PM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

JBROWE said...."I got the bike in a trade and know very little about it."

After 4 years you should know plenty about it- time to get serious. Lots of newcomers approach carb problems totally perplexed, but manage to solve them. You could always deal with someone here who could inspect your set and give you an honest answer; worst case, get another set off ebay and start over. If you like the bike, and it's otherwise in good shape, fix the carbs and enjoy happy motoring.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working on carbs is not a big deal to me just dont know the right jets for what I have. Also time is hard to come by in my little world. I am going to make some time to fix them right and also do some polishing on all the alum.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JBROWE,

I hope you'll find the information in the links below somewhat helpful. Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Your story sounds like mine in the beginning. Long story short, you will learn how to go through the bike and do all the necessary steps to have a safe, reliable ride that will put a grin on your face every time you ride. You are most certainly at the right place!-----AND, you'll save a ton of cash in the process.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'm willing to bet that the hesitation you speak of is due to old intake O-Rings. They are like $1 a piece and I can't exaggerate the difference that replacing them makes. Start there.

Next, adjust your carb mix screws. Tighten them all the way, and then back them out 2 full turns. Do this for each carb. This will ensure that you are running close to the right A/F ratio. Do not attempt this before replacing the O-Rings!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                  I'm willing to bet that the hesitation you speak of is due to old intake O-Rings. They are like $1 a piece and I can't exaggerate the difference that replacing them makes. Start there.

Next, adjust your carb mix screws. Tighten them all the way, and then back them out 2 full turns. Do this for each carb. This will ensure that you are running close to the right A/F ratio. Do not attempt this before replacing the O-Rings!!!
                  Be careful how you say this. "Tightening them all the way" will lead to breaking the tips off and lead to very bad things. Turning them until lightly seated is the correct way and then backing them out. I'd suggest 3 FULL (360 degree) turns out so you don't have too many issues (I did with mine and it started right up).
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Be careful how you say this. "Tightening them all the way" will lead to breaking the tips off and lead to very bad things. Turning them until lightly seated is the correct way and then backing them out. I'd suggest 3 FULL (360 degree) turns out so you don't have too many issues (I did with mine and it started right up).
                    Thanks for making that clearer.

Comment

Working...
                    X