Sat - fuel bowl on #1 won't fill...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat - fuel bowl on #1 won't fill...?

Howdy all. My bike sat for a while because I didn't have the time to replace the leaky final drive seal and it wasn't safe to ride more than a few miles. I moved and need to move my bike, but the fuel bowl for the #1 carb just is not filling.

Generally, if it's sat for a while, I just pull the bowl plug and gas starts coming out - it did on the other carb you can reach with the carbs on the bike and it worked fine. So I'm getting fuel down through the tank and petcock, but not into the one carb. I know I'll need to pull the carbs and clean them, but do you have any advice for getting it to run enough to drive <2 miles? Otherwise it's a trailer, and that would be worse than pulling the carbs.

Happy rides!

sounds like the float has stuck, try tapping the float bowl a bit, see if that loosens it up
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
      Howdy all. My bike sat for a while because I didn't have the time to replace the leaky final drive seal and it wasn't safe to ride more than a few miles. I moved and need to move my bike, but the fuel bowl for the #1 carb just is not filling.

but do you have any advice for getting it to run enough to drive <2 miles? Otherwise it's a trailer, and that would be worse than pulling the carbs.

Happy rides!
      I rather get my trailer than pull these carbs! Carb #1, put on kickstand or lower and rap carb bowl. If no go, just drive 2 miles on 3 cylinders- many of us do it.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Kickstand! Yes... The peg to catch with your foot is broken off, but I can still put it down. I'll do that. I've already knocked and tapped on it a bit, and sprayed some WD40 into it hoping it would loosen up.
        Do the fill holes ever gunk up? I'm happy driving with 3 cylinders... maybe the vibrations will get the 4th working hehehe...

Comment

If you have rust in the tank you may of clogged the screen filter on your float seat.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X