Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will I know when my bike loses a carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, just ask Hildo...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks all. Yea, I just want to see/hear/feel what it sounds like so I'm able to start troubleshooting before I get on here. I don't want to be driving along like some fool who doesn't know their own bike.

Course you're probably right about the big change. It's nice to go screaming down the highway at 70 and be barely breaking a sweat (6000 rpm) so I'll probably notice it quick. But still. I'll toy with it this weekend then.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Does this sound right?

After cleaning my chain today, I decided to try your recommendations out and here's what I found. First off, I didn't try to ride after this but I did give it throttle on the center stand to hear things.

With one plug off, the bike will still start but there is some definite hesitation (more so if number 2 wire is off than number 1) and it takes awhile to fire up the first time.

With two plugs off, the bike will not start at all.

So, in my mind, I could still run on one cylinder being down but with more than one, I'm not going anywhere. Sound about right?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

You spot on Scott, you can limp home on three pots, but if you loose two, call a buddy with a trailer or a bakkie.

Comment

Six grand at 70 in top gear?? Those stock sprockets (or equivelent to) as far as tooth count? Most of the GSes I've had are not even or just spinning 5K at 70 in top gear. And yes I realize it's a 550, and yes i realize it's got 6 speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Six grand at 70 in top gear?? Those stock sprockets (or equivelent to) as far as tooth count? Most of the GSes I've had are not even or just spinning 5K at 70 in top gear. And yes I realize it's a 550, and yes i realize it's got 6 speeds.
              Yes I'm running stock - 15/50

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

1980 gs750

Riding down the highway 70MPH and engine died out.It will will nfire on starting fluid for a second.Fuel does come thru the petcock when I turn the starter.Could the carb jet clog all at once?It was running great.

Comment

Iceman, you should start your own thread so people will see it and respond faster than to this one that really doesn't coincide with your issues.

With that said, what maintenance have you done and is your electrical system up to snuff?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                  X