Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noobie Question > What size are the petcock bolts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noobie Question > What size are the petcock bolts??

Good day, after getting my electrical questions solved, it is time to move over to this forum with some pretty simple questions. Please have mercy.

I have a project that came in boxes. I am ready to mount the tank, but I can't find a proper bolt that will screw into the petcock threads.
    I just hit ACE hardware, and bought everything the had:
    M5 - .80
    M6 - 1.0

Various lengths, but the M5 is too small and the M6 goes in about 3 turns and won't go further. Same thing for both threads.
    So before I screw up this tank, I wanted to see if there was a resource that shows you bolt sizes. I searched the forums and didn't come up with any info. Also nothing in the service manual.

Once again, a big thanks for helping us beginners not throw money out the window by breaking things!!!

Cheers,
    Cory

Which bike ??
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

78 GS750E > But don't think it is correct tank

Sorry about that- it is a 78 GS750E , but this isn't the correct tank.
      The mounting tab doesn't line up in the back.
      Is there a part number somewhere on the tank to identify it?

Comment

According to the part numbers, that M6 - 1.0 bolt should work for the GS 750 tank.

If you have some other tank, the threads in the tank are the issue. Are you sure it's a Suzuki tank? Post some pics and someone here can identify it. Could be a later model year's tank, in 1980 or so they switched to two tabs in the rear IIRC.

What kind of petcock opening does it have - round or oblong? What is the bolt spacing for the petcock mounts? The '78 should be 50mm I think.

Comment

M6-1.00 it is!

Once you confirmed the size, I hit up ACE again and bought a thread tap.
          Hit it with some liquid wrench, and went right in. I think there was rust or something going on, but the tap when right in.
          I am going to include some pics of the tank, as I probably need to know it in the long run.

Comment

Back mounting

Back mounting

Comment

Side view

Side view - I believe it is a Suzuki tank, as I have seen the two "holes" by the filler cap on others listed on Ebay.

Comment

Looks a lot like an early gs550, gs550e tank. As i understand it the 550 tank is shorter than the 750 so it won't match up with your rear mounting point.

Why not buy the correct fitting tank??

Comment

Working...
                X