Carb Question GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Question GS750

I've read a few threads with regards to black plugs...just replaced the plugs since I haven't had the bike out for a few years...

When I start from cold with the choke almost full on it fires up, but has always seemed to bog a bit until it warms up.

My guess is it's far too rich...

It's never had the "snap" that I thought it should...

Any ideas?

Rebuild the carbs and then go from there. Also perform all the other routine maintenance.

Also check my signature for the Newbie Mistakes thread to see if anything strikes a chord.

If you have CV type carbs, my signature contains a tutorial for those too.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the info...

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Rebuild the carbs and then go from there. Also perform all the other routine maintenance.

Also check my signature for the Newbie Mistakes thread to see if anything strikes a chord.

If you have CV type carbs, my signature contains a tutorial for those too.
      Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Keep in mind, though, that even perfectly-tuned carbs will not feel real "crisp" until the bike warms up.

The difference is that properly-tuned carbs will be off "choke" within a minute and be ready to ride.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve is right..the jugs need to get some heat in them for her to perform right. The RPMS are supposed to go up to around 3500 or so with the ENRICHMENT ( choke ) circuit open. I start the bike and let it rev for a few seconds and then slowly back off till its at around 2000 Rs while I get geared up. By the time i am geared up she is good to go.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            The RPMS are supposed to go up to around 3500 or so with the ENRICHMENT ( choke ) circuit open. I start the bike and let it rev for a few seconds and then slowly back off till its at around 2000 Rs while I get geared up. By the time i am geared up she is good to go.
            Different strokes for different folks. I try to keep cold revs down to about 2000 when using "choke".
            It just makes my skin crawl to hear someone start an engine (bike or car) and rev it up before the oil starts flowing.

I have found the "sweet spot" for the "choke" control on all of our bikes so they don't race wildly when started.
            I can even get my Wing to start and idle smoothly at about 1500 RPM.
            Once it warms up, idle speed is 700.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is normal for the bikes to rev like that on full choke...by the time the revs start to get there the oil is flowing. I dont LEAVE it there for but a few seconds and then start backing it down. I dont think anyone needs to let it rev at 3500 for 2 minutes by any strtetch..that wasnt the intention of my post.

He asked about it high revving and that is a normal occurance...thats what the enrichment circuit is supoposed to make it do.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X