Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike dies out when I turn the choke off. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On some bikes (maybe even most of them), using the "choke" will raise the engine speed to 3-4000 rpm. Solution there is to only apply it part-way.
    Personally, I like to keep cold engine speed down to about 2000, so I modulate the "choke" lever (knob, whatever) to keep the speed down.

How to keep it from dying when you turn the "choke" off?

Turn up the master idle speed control.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't mess with the needles yet. The needles will effect your "roll on" power and have NOTHING to do with your idle.

Have you checked to make sure that your idle screw (the one under the carbs that pushes on the bottom of the pulley that your throttle cable is attached to) isn't set too low. Try turning that clockwise and see if that will put you up in the 11-1200 range. If it will not run at that rpm once warm, then I would say that you're either too lean or too rich. Generally speaking though, if you shut the choke off and it dies, you're too lean.

Comment

Where is the big idle adjust knob between 2 and 3 carbs set?? Give it a few turns in once you start it on choke and then remove the choke to see if itm stays running
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll try to give it a few turns more clockwise though I had already dial it in quite a bit if not all the way. The rpms go a lot higher under chocked and I believe she starts to backfire a bit too but still cuts out when choke removed. I'll take anothere crack at it and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
            The rpms go a lot higher under chocked ...
            Somehow, I get the impression that you are not reading all the suggestions that are being offered.
            Originally posted by Steve View Post
            On some bikes (maybe even most of them), using the "choke" will raise the engine speed to 3-4000 rpm. Solution there is to only apply it part-way.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion. Yes, i could apply choke half way to keep the revs down but you're not suggesting i ride like that normally?

When the choke is remove completely obv I'm still not rich enuf to keepp her running. That's what I'm looking to resolve.

Comment

The rpms go a lot higher under chocked

Yes, they are supposed to do that. If it doesn't go up around 3k, then things are not working properly. That part is okay.

Comment

Steve,

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion. Yes, i could apply choke half way to keep the revs down but you're not suggesting i ride like that normally?

When the choke is remove completely obv I'm still not rich enuf to keepp her running. That's what I'm looking to resolve.
                  What condition are the intake tubes and o-rings? When I first got my bike it also would not run without the choke, the intake tubes were cracked and the o-rings flat as a pancake. Replaced them and all was well.
                  1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Steve,

To START the engine, you do not need to apply full "choke" and have it rev sky-high.

If the carbs are clean and adjusted properly, about half "choke" can be applied for about 30 seconds or so, then the bike can be ridden. By the time you get into third gear, the "choke" can be removed entirely.

If your idle is not set high enough to keep the engine going at this point, it needs to be adjusted upward. Just in case you were not aware, the proper idle speed is about 1100 rpm. Some might get their bikes to idle as low as 1000, others prefer a slightly higher speed. These are not cars, they will not idle at 700.

Did you notice the part about "If the carbs are clean and adjusted properly"? Have you properly cleaned the carbs and replaced all the o-rings?

Your bike does not use o-rings in the intake tubes, but it's still important for your intake tubes to be in good condition so they seal well. What shape are they in?

You have changed jetting, which is good, because you are using non-standard carbs. I have no suggestions to offer on jetting itself, but are the float levels set properly? If they are off, it will affect the jetting on ALL of the carb's circuits.

How many turns have you turned the idle mixture screws out from lightly seated? Most of us will start with 2 to 3 full turns out, then, after the bike warms up, turn the screws, listening for highest idle speed, indicating a "happy" mixture is being provided to the cylinder.

Hopefully these "suggestions" and questions will be specific enough that there is no confusion.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

What happened after you adjusted the base idle higher like several people suggested?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As stated in other threards,I run 1100 with 1150 carbs.
                        K&n pods oiled proper.4 into 1
                        I am using the 127.5 mikuni mains,stock pilots stock pilot airs.Used to run dyno 138's once pods cleaned and oiled i had to drop a size.
                        fuel adjust screws average about 3-4 turns for me.
                        I was not able to run the stock 1150 float level.I seriousely would look at adjusting float level to fix this problem.You are lean in the idle circuit it seemsJust my 2 cents, here are some links to study and read that helped me greatly,they have been posted here many times.If the needles, pilots and mains are right, there is only fuel screws and float levels to figure out as far as i am concerned.As long as the carbs have been dipped and petcock works propper. There are no o-rings on this engine just the carb boot manifold tubes,whatever u want to call them.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html
                        no choke needed to start the bike.

Comment

This thread interests me as my GS650 has not been idling properly. The strange part is that it used to idle all day long after it warmed up. But a little over a week ago I started it up on choke and it revved up to about 3000 rpm, however after a few minutes when I took the choke off it dies. That was caused by one of the coils not firing so two cylinders couldn't hold it at 1000 rpm. I fixed that problem and it idled just as good as before and I took it for a test ride. Then today I went to ride it again and it would not idle off of choke but this time it had spark at all four plugs. If I held it at about 1200 rpm and pulled the cylinder 1 plug wire there was no change, but if I pulled the cylinder 2 plug wire it died instantly. So that means it's only firing on cylinders 2+3. I held it at about idle speed with the throttle and am going to look at the spark plugs when it's cooled off.

Here's what I've done to it:

Dynatek Coils and plug wires
                          NGK Plugs
                          POR 15 Fuel Tank sealant
                          in-line fuel filter
                          cleaned and dipped carb bodies and jets (without deganging them)
                          set float height
                          adjusted idle mixture screws (engine warm)

Here's what I haven't done that I should have:

Seal airbox
                          replace intake boots
                          replace intake boot o-rings
                          check/adjust valves
                          clean air filter
                          make sure exhaust is sealing

Comment

Working...
                          X