Undercarburetted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undercarburetted?

Reading the manual (Haynes) for the GS fourcylinders, it is stated that they are undercarburetted. As well is the GS two cylinders.

If that's true it should give me some more power switching to a bigger bore, eventually flat slides.

Will that give more power or do I need to punch the engine out to bigger cc's and a different bumpstick to gain more power?

I have both two and four cylinder machines about to be restored.

This is for the street, not all out racing, just a little more fun.

carsten

GS750?

10 characters
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Probably a translation error to Danish (or even English)

You can gain power without changing to another carb, but switching carbs alone will net almost nothing

If you want real power, figure to spend 1500 euros or more
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

No, there' no translation error. I might live in Denmark, but I'm bilingual, and only quoted the book.

I do not look for more power, as much as a better running engine.

Searching various sources I've found out that it's not just a matter of undercarburation, it's also a matter of wrong/lean jetting from the factory.

I'm gonna try some different setups, and will be posting the results as they come.

I've also come to suspect the CV carbs as being somewhat sluggish in response, I'll try some of the old kind and see if that's the case.

Comment

I have a suspicion that when they said "undercarburetted", they actually meant "jetted lean".

Depending on what size bikes you have and what years they are, they probably have very adequately-sized throats in the carbs, but might be able to benefit from some slight jetting changes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What's a bumpstick?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Bump stick is a cam.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If they're undercarbed, then fitting bigger bores will make it worse, no?
                Bumpstick?
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  If they're undercarbed, then fitting bigger bores will make it worse, no?
                  Bumpstick?
                  See Ed's reply Chris - apparently it's American for cam.......
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Depends on the engine.

The 550 - 650 - 750 - 650 engines used 32 mm carbs at one time, some 850s had 34 I think. The 650 was just about perfect at 673cc for these carbs and most agree they ran the best. But in reality if you want to go faster then buy a larger bike, like a 1000 or a 1100, and be done with it.

Nothing against smaller rides, I have one myself, but it's all about expectations and personal preferences. I happen to love my 650 and it's enough bike for me.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I agree with Steve. From the factory they came a bit lean, so simple jetting changes should help. A larger carb will hurt your bottom end; you won't like it.

Comment

I learned a lesson about carb sizing long ago and that is the carb should be appropriate for the majority of driving you do. A larger carb WILL flow more air and fuel at very high RPM, and if you spend all your time at 8000 RPM and above this works for you.
                        Most of the time your bike runs 3000 to 6000 RPM. A larger carb will have difficulty metering fuel at that range and the crossover from different stages will be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          Depends on the engine.

The 550 - 650 - 750 - 650 engines used 32 mm carbs at one time, some 850s had 34 I think.
                          To the best of my knowledge, all 850s from '80 on, only had 32s, at least in the US market. Can not vouch for the rest of the world, though.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            To the best of my knowledge, all 850s from '80 on, only had 32s, at least in the US market. Can not vouch for the rest of the world, though.

i parted out an 82 that had 34mm carbs, might have been a mod but they looked correct. I think they would work on an 850, maybe better than 32mm carbs

Comment

Working...
                            X