Sandblasting & Painting my Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandblasting & Painting my Header

I'm planning on Sandblasting my header and would like to get some advice on what paint to use, any techniques etc. Sorry if there is a thread on this already but I have a tough time navigating the search options. Thanks as always.

No signature :(

Spend the dough and get it coated. Those pipes are as rare as hens teeth. Paint, even 2000 degree paint, will blister and peel eventually, especially when the pipes are hot and you get caught in a rain storm. You'll be kickin yourself if you let that pipe rot through with rust.

I'm sure you can find a company close to you that does high temp ceramic coatings, but IMO Jet Hot is the best in the biz. I've seen pipes that were coated ten years ago that shine like they were just done.

Comment

What kind of pipe does he have there?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        What kind of pipe does he have there?
        Looks like a Yosh to me.

Comment

Yoshi?

Eric

Comment

I have heard nickel coatings are great too although I have no experience with them. A local shop will strip mine & coat it for $75.00. This is for the header & V & H megaphone.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

BassCliff gave me this site, check it out, might be what you want. http://www.jet-hot.com/
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Coating would be best. I sandblasted mine earlier this spring and painted them with VHT Flameproof and have been through numerous rain storms without any problems. I had peeling and blistering before with the same paint before I sand blasted the pipes, so the preparation for the paint means a lot.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  BassCliff gave me this site, check it out, might be what you want. http://www.jet-hot.com/
                  Thanks Mr. Bill!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Spend the dough and get it coated. Those pipes are as rare as hens teeth. Paint, even 2000 degree paint, will blister and peel eventually, especially when the pipes are hot and you get caught in a rain storm. You'll be kickin yourself if you let that pipe rot through with rust.

I'm sure you can find a company close to you that does high temp ceramic coatings, but IMO Jet Hot is the best in the biz. I've seen pipes that were coated ten years ago that shine like they were just done.
                    I agree, Gotta get that rust off and snd blasting is the only way. He might end up with some small holes since it is so blistered. I'm wondering if anybody ever rejetetd that bad boy when then added the Yoshi. It doesnt look like pods.

He should also repack the can with some coarse stainless steel.

Once that exhaust rusts out he is into a big problem finding something to replace, save for going back to a chrome V&H

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      I agree, Gotta get that rust off and snd blasting is the only way. He might end up with some small holes since it is so blistered. I'm wondering if anybody ever rejetetd that bad boy when then added the Yoshi. It doesnt look like pods.

He should also repack the can with some coarse stainless steel.

Once that exhaust rusts out he is into a big problem finding something to replace, save for going back to a chrome V&H
                      Took the carbs out yesterday and yep they are stock, no jetting. So I need to go to a stage 1 but I also have to get an airbox so I decided I'm going with pods and gonna order the stage 3 from Z1. The header for sure has rust but it seems pretty solid. So I will sandblast and paint. I have heard ceramic coating is pricey. ?? Don't wanna spend a lot on that. And will look at re-packing the can too.
                      Thanks guys,
                      Trevor

Comment

VHT makes an ultra-hi temp paint that is rated to 2,000 degrees.
                        I highly recommend it if you are going to be painting.
                        The 1,200 degree stuff just doesn't last very long (2-4,000 miles)

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                          So I will sandblast and paint. I have heard ceramic coating is pricey. ?? Don't wanna spend a lot on that. And will look at re-packing the can too.
                          Thanks guys,
                          Trevor
                          I have to agree with Josh...I tried the 2000º paint route and by the end of the season, they looked bad and were starting to rust again.
                          I got mine blasted, cleaned and coated this spring, with a satin black ceramic coating for $225 USD

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

X3 for getting it coated... I have never had success with header paints lasting. I've tried what the can says (which is clean the piece then spray 2 even coats then let dry), heavy coats, light coats, primers, bare metal, even heating the part up then spraying on 3 or 4 coats. Didn't matter if it was iron or steel... It never lasts more than a season before it rusts.

Comment

I've had jet-hot do 3 sets for me so far. Pleased with the finish and durability doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about thier product and service.
                              FYI If you have the pipes blasted locally before sending them to jet-hot you can save some money.

Comment

Working...
                              X