Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mufflers

OK,

I have got my GS 850L running pretty good now it has a little stumble going through the power range, Someone cut the baffles out of the stock mufflers, Could this be causing the stumble I am haveing? If so does anyone know where I can find cheap slide on mufflers to replace it, Long term I am going to replace the whole system with Vance & Hines V12009 4 to 1 system.

Thanks

Jason

Originally posted by javamotorsports View Post
    OK,

I have got my GS 850L running pretty good now it has a little stumble going through the power range, Someone cut the baffles out of the stock mufflers, Could this be causing the stumble I am haveing? If so does anyone know where I can find cheap slide on mufflers to replace it, Long term I am going to replace the whole system with Vance & Hines V12009 4 to 1 system.

Thanks

Jason
    Others on here have suggested a visit to your local Hardley dealer - they sometimes have factory take-offs for sale cheap. Seems all the 'loud pipes save lives' types take off the mufflers immediately and the dealers build up a pile of them that no one wants.

Comment

The cut out baffles probably leaned out your fuel mixture causing the stumbles. Going to the V&H is good though you'll have to rejet anyways. If you decide to add a K&N drop in air filter and the V&H pipe for sure you'll have to rejet.

Originally posted by javamotorsports View Post
      OK,

Thanks

Jason
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My pipes are rusted out so I'll have to replace eventually too. I bought two Emgo Shorty mufflers and two glass packs for a round $70 from partshark total that eventually I'll put on. though now that I have them, they might look a bit silly with how small they are.

Do you have to cut your mufflers to add a slip-on muffler? I haven't looked too closely at the exhaust, but it looks like it is welded. Mildly hesitant about doing irreversible cuts on the muffler if I could avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by spacepirates View Post
          My pipes are rusted out so I'll have to replace eventually too. I bought two Emgo Shorty mufflers and two glass packs for a round $70 from partshark total that eventually I'll put on. though now that I have them, they might look a bit silly with how small they are.

Do you have to cut your mufflers to add a slip-on muffler? I haven't looked too closely at the exhaust, but it looks like it is welded. Mildly hesitant about doing irreversible cuts on the muffler if I could avoid it.
          You cut right at the base of the muffler. The emgo mufflers slip over the pipe. It should include a few adapters for different sized pipes. I have the emgo dunstall style mufflers and that is what I did.

Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X