Villiers tank sealant problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Villiers tank sealant problems....

Hi all. I hope i find everyone feelin fine...

I recently"relined" my GS850 petrol tank with Villiers tank liner (2part).....
    Now i have a serious problem ov Tarry Black goo inside the filter, carb tops and inlet manifolds!!!
    Like the tar that used to be found on beach pebbles...
    think it must be the tank liner disolving back into the fuel!!!!

Has anyone else used this product
    Or had this goo appear after lining their tanks...?

Thanx all.
    Xxxx

do you have a link to the instructions>???
    Rob

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
    Hi all. I hope i find everyone feelin fine...

I recently"relined" my GS850 petrol tank with Villiers tank liner (2part).....
    Now i have a serious problem ov Tarry Black goo inside the filter, carb tops and inlet manifolds!!!
    Like the tar that used to be found on beach pebbles...
    think it must be the tank liner disolving back into the fuel!!!!

Has anyone else used this product
    Or had this goo appear after lining their tanks...?

Thanx all.
    Xxxx

Comment

It's the ethanol dissolving the liner - it's a bugger. You have got 2 choices.

Either read this:

Tank Care Products has been suppying the trade and private restorers with quality products, for cleaning and coating Motorcycle tanks, and small vehicle tanks. We also carry out tank repairs and restoration, and a quality paintwork service.

Or drain your tank as quick as you can and chuck the fuel. Immediately wash the tank out with a strong washing powder solution (yes, the stuff you wash your clothes in - Bold, OMO, Persil that sort of stuff). Then flush it to death - ignore the hosepipe ban and stick a hose in there for 10 minutes. Then add a spoonful of Fairy Liquid (hoestly, I'm not kidding you) add a gallon of water and shake like mad. Rinse again with the hose until the bubbles stop coming out.

Leave it to dry (if it's prone to rust give the inside a squirt with WD40).

Now you're good to go - but only use BP Ultimate Super Unleaded. It's ethanol free as long as you don't buy it in Devon and Cornwall. It's not an old wive's tale - I emailed BP only last week to confirm.

This is happening all over and the buggers are keeping real quiet about it. Whatever you do don't buy Petseal Ultra (which is ethanol resistant) from a jumble or Ebay. It's 99% certain it's just rebadged Petseal (the old stuff) and no good.

You have to clean your carbs, tap etc too - and that sh!t sticks like nothing I'm afraid.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter by the way? I think you have to do a pre-test with the Villiers stuff. If you've got any left give the pre-test a whirl (if I'm correct).
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 06-09-2012, 04:45 AM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ok thanx guys...
        I have no link for the stuff but did cure it for a few days but if HH is right then its just the ethanol rotting the liner... This sounds right to me.
        So, HH are you saying after ive washed and rinsed with Persil and then washed and rinsed with washin up liquid and sprayed with WD40...
        I don't need to reline it?
        Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
          Ok thanx guys...
          So, HH are you saying after ive washed and rinsed with Persil and then washed and rinsed with washin up liquid and sprayed with WD40...
          I don't need to reline it?
          Depends. If you have only damaged the surface of the lank liner and there is still a good coating in there it will be ok - probably. You have to judge what a 'good coating' is, bearing in mind why you coated it in the first place (pinholes, major rot or just flash rust).

The quicker you get rid of the fuel the better the chance of saving what is left.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Fuels out...
            Washed and rinsed...
            Villiers are sending a cheque to cover bought product AND 2 litres ov Acitone to clear old stuff..
            No holes in tank... Just rusty inside on bottom...
            Xxxx

Comment

Be careful with the acetone - it'll take the paint of just about anything.

If she's just got a rusty bottom pop down to Asda and buy a gallon of vinegar. Block off the tap holes / fuel gauge sender and let the vinegar sit in there for a couple of days or longer if it's heavy rust. Pour it out and flush with water and hit it immediately with WD 40 (you have seconds to do this) to stop it flash rusting.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                If she's just got a rusty bottom...
                i HATE when her bottom gets rusty! LOL! sorry, i couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by airbornespud View Post
                  i HATE when her bottom gets rusty!.
                  Ha mee too...
                  Thanx HH.
                  Fine advice... That i will follow to the letter.
                  Xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X