Best Carb Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Carb Settings

Just got bike fired up for the first time and idles great with slight adjustment of idle screw i think ( on pod side of carb in middle below adjustable by finger). Can someone guide me how many turns out each screw on the carbs should be to get it close to normal. My bike revs up but pops and bogs a bit before taking off. I understand Ill have to take tank off to prob get to carb screws. I have not adjusted them at all since getting carb cleaned

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
    Just got bike fired up for the first time and idles great with slight adjustment of idle screw i think ( on pod side of carb in middle below adjustable by finger). Can someone guide me how many turns out each screw on the carbs should be to get it close to normal. My bike revs up but pops and bogs a bit before taking off. I understand Ill have to take tank off to prob get to carb screws. I have not adjusted them at all since getting carb cleaned
    So, you've got pods on this bike? Carbs are cleaned but did you re-jet for pods? Cause it won't run worth a crap without re-jetting, and the best way to go about that is with a jet kit. The stock needles are nearly impossible to make work with pods.

Comment

Well the bike had pods n v&h 4 into 1. I was hoping the previous owner put a jet kit in. Howw can i tell what it has?

Comment

you will have to open up the carbs to see

Comment

Well the bike had pods n v&h 4 into 1. I was hoping the previous owner put a jet kit in. Howw can i tell what it has?
          You have GOT to be kidding.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can't assume. You need to know. If you've actually broken down and cleaned the carbs you should know what jets are in it. If not you need to clean the carbs and install new orings, and go from there. If the bike is popping and bogging out its highly doubtful the PO installed a jet kit. Most people have no idea wtf they are doing. You're local, so if this all seems a bit daunting, I can lend a hand. I have all of the necessary tools, and can show you how to rebuild your carbs and clean them properly. Then show you how to install a jet kit you'll need to purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              You're local, so if this all seems a bit daunting, I can lend a hand. I have all of the necessary tools, and can show you how to rebuild your carbs and clean them properly. Then show you how to install a jet kit you'll need to purchase.

I just have to jump in here and say how amazing the people on this forum are. I have had locals jump in and help me as well. A really appreciate every comment I get when I ask for help... Thank you All!

I rebuilt/dipped my VM carbs and although I was at first quite intimidated after the first one was done (after a couple of mistakes) the last 3 were really pretty easy.

Comment

I could probably def use your help CafeKid. I can throw a little $ your way for lending a hand. PM me and we'll try to hook up.

Comment

Main jet says 127.5 Is that bigger than stock?

Comment

Im gonna try an just dial it in close. Im gonna take the tank off and rig up another fuel delivery source. How many turns out on what screws will get me close to good fuel flow. Im running rich now and popping in the exhaust. My main jets are 127.5 so thats bigger than factory for my pods.

Comment

Did you take the carbs off? I would see if there is a stock jet needle in it and pilot jet ......
                      If Josh can help you out have him. I'd hate to see you blow up your bike since it may be lean.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X