Dipping and anodized (?) parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping and anodized (?) parts

Put a carb body in Yamalube carb dip for close to 24 hours. Came out nice and clean but there was gunk on the return springs and adjustment screw for the butterfly valve.

After looking at the undipped carb bodies, these parts appear brass colored (I assume they were anodized parts). apparently dip, removed the coating.

Will this be a problem down the road?
    1980 GS550L

No anodized parts in there that I am aware of.

Probably just a bit of gunk on the parts or dirty "dip".

After doing several sets of carbs, my dip will leave a bit of a film on the parts when I pull them out.
    That is where a very HOT rinse is very handy. I just crank the water heater up to MAX
    (tankless heater, so it's semi-instant response), rinse the parts in the kitchen sink.
    Surprisingly, Mrs. Steve has no problem with this, as I clean it all up before I leave.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't like leaving carbs in the dip any longer than necessary to clean them. Most likely there is something in that Yamaha dip that reacted with the screws in question.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks for replies

Unortunately my current schedule "forced" me to leave them in longer than intended.

I will try to take some pictures just to clarify things.
        1980 GS550L

Comment

the photos

Notice the brass color on the lever of the undipped carb body (right)

Notice the gray color on the spring of the dipped carb body (left)

Is the brass color anodizing? and if I lessen the time in the dip will it keep it from taking the coating off?
          1980 GS550L

Comment

Its chromate......zinc chromate maybe.

Comment

thanks

thanks, any way to keep the dip from taking it off? I used Yamalube brand.
              1980 GS550L

Comment

I decided to investigate by dipping a carb body at intervals and seeing if the coating was effected. so far at 1 minute, 11 minute and 26 minutes there appears to be no effect on the coating. Another 15 minutes and no noticeable effect on the chromate. I must have left it in too long the first time
                Last edited by goggles; 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM. Reason: add information
                1980 GS550L

Comment

summary

I just finished the 4th carb body. all four dipped in Yamalube brand dip.
                  From my limited experience, if you are concerned about the chromate (brass coating) being removed only dip the carbs for a limited time. The dip was not heated.

I would not leave them in much past an hour the fourth carb started to lose some of the coating roughly after about in hour in the dip. A white residue starts to develops on the part as the coating breaks down.
                  1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                  X