Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do pods need a new needle to work properly...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do pods need a new needle to work properly...?

Why do we need to get new needles for the carbs when we fit pods onto our bikes?

Is it the length ov needle or shape ov needle that is different with pods?

excuse my ignorance.
    Thanx all.
    Xxxx

For one thing, the stock airbox creates a slight bit of restriction that the carbs need to overcome somehow. This restriction makes the carbs sip the fuel from the bowls more efficiently. Since pods free flow more air, the restriction is lost and thus they make the carbs pretty much useless unless you do the mods...
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Or, in other words, ...

With pods, the engine is able to breathe more air. The different needles also allow more fuel, to keep the ratio correct.

The needles will affect operation at mid-throttle settings. When you change to pods, though, it is more important to install larger main jets to allow more fuel at full-throttle openings.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok thanx. Great answers, as always....
        What i have done on my bike, which btw has a Harris 4-1 race pipe and K&N's, is sleeve the pods with short pieces ov inner tube... This i have rolled over the pods to give me "fingertip" control ov the airflow into each one...
        This i figured would give the carbs, which i upjetted from 115's to 142.5's (mains), the required "work-out" they need to build up a partial vacume to get enough fuel going...
        Do you think this bodge has merit or should i look out for one ov these mythical carb-kits?

Thanx again.
        Xxx

Comment

Having tried something similar, theoretically possible, but you'll never really get them right. If they make a Dynojet stage three kit for your bike, that would be the way to go. The needle taper, is the trick.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanx OldVet.
            I know the proper thing IS the thing to get but the carb kits are so expensive, thought I'd try and find another way around the problem...

Thank you again

Xxx

Comment

You can jet them using Mikuni parts, but it is a lot harder. In the end you would most likely wish you had sprung for the stage three kit. Pipes are not a real problem to jet for, if you have your stock air box. My bike wasn't far from a basket case when I got it, and I was too dumb to know better. It had a nasty old rusted Vance and Hines 4-1, and a bad air box, so I went with pods. In the end I appreciate the easy access to the battery, and the tool kit I made out of the air box carcass, but it took a LOT of tweaking to get it to that point and a reliable 42MPG running with traffic on my daily commute. (around here that's usually over 70MPH).
              Last edited by OldVet66; 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

ok thanx. Is there a photo available ov this new needle???
                Wonder if i can modify the existing ones, closer to the new shape...?
                Xxx

Alternatively... A stage3 carb kit is available for £52+12 postage...
                Very skint atm so would love to do it without the kit.....

Xxx
                Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

That's a really cheap deal on a Dynojet kit - they're usually £100 plus.

You won't be able to modify your existing needles - the modded ones are fatter. Plus you would have to get each one identical.

However, you have a UK bike (I presume) with adjustable needles so you can have a play about with needle height and that will help.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

However, you have a UK bike (I presume) with adjustable needles so you can have a play about with needle height and that will help.
                    Ahhh, ok. Yes. Thx HH. Its sounding more achievable now..
                    So... Its raising the needle that i should do eh?
                    Raising gives more fuel, lowering-less...?

i just noticed.its a Sigma jet kit, not Dyna jet...

Thx again.
                    Xxx

Comment

EMGO v.s K&N

Hi,
                      I dont know know what carb/bike you have, but i found that on my 1135 with cv36mm i most likely need to buy a dynajet stage 3 if i want to run with my new K&N pods. They gives less restriction then the cheaper EMGO pods that i have put back again.
                      With the cheap pods i just needed to replace main jet from 120 to 128 and rise the jet-needles (1 clip down from top) and it runs perfect.

The drawback is the dirt that may pass through the cheap filter.
                      Regards
                      Espen

Comment

Working...
                      X