'81 gs750e air box mod to 4 pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 gs750e air box mod to 4 pods

Hi I was wondering if anyone could supply personal advice for pods on a gs750e? Is it a bad idea? Is re jetting required? Very new to the whole concept so anything helps.

Yes, jetting will be required. Also don't skimp on the pods, get the good quality stuff. APE and Dynoman are good choices and both will be cheaper than K'N stuff with around the same quality. As long as you take the time to tune the carbs afterwards, there is nothing wrong with pods, the problem occurs when people throw them on their bike and expect it to run right. Also, if your planning to run pods, you might as well run a free'er flowing exhaust to get the full effect.

Just so you know, there are lots of threads on this topic, try the search option and see what pops up. Welcome to the site!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

As for pods, I don't like them, that is my opinion. Yes you have to rejet and from some of the threads I've read here it can be a pain especially when a aftermarket pipe is involved. Me I would just buy a K&N drop in filter less hassles. Anyways, there is several threads on the subject, just do a search.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll try the search bar. Very helpful start! Thanks!

Comment

I have Vance and Hines 4-1. Is that free enough to work you think? And is the st.3 jet kit worth it?

Comment

Pods and pipe require substantial re-jetting, but you are fortunate to have access to a Stage 3 kit, as that will get you almost all the way there. Don't screw around with cheap pods or skimping on the jets.

Extra air -> leaner mixtures -> hotter valves -> burning valves -> mad panic -> Apocalypse.

So no half-stepping here.

Comment

most everyone will agree with me on this..these bikes run very good bone stock...which they do..

i put a 4-1 header cause well...it sounded badass lol..i still have a good stock airbox...

eveyone says pods are a nightmare...so i stayed with my stock box and no jet kit..just bumped up my main jets...

yes i should buy the kit..but it dont run very lean down low..so im not concerned...and it still idles and pulls and cruises just like it did stock..but with a wicked sound

Comment

So all in all, are pods a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeptauntaunsleep View Post
                  well no...but its just a pain to get the bike straight ive heard...

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeptauntaunsleep View Post
                    No, but there are a lot of haters.

Pods are not plug 'n play, though. It's like buying a puppy. You have to be prepared for the responsibility that comes with having pods on the bike.

There is a mixture of "stock-chauvenism" and bad blood about pods on these forums. The bad blood comes from the recurring first-time posts that launch into thread like

"I just bought this P.O.S 1981 GS650E for my next cool bobber project! Stupid old-geezer PO had it since new and kept it in a climate controlled crate to preserve all the parts. [pic of showroom quality bone-stock GS650E]. Sold it to me for $50. Already have the frame cut back, the paint stripped and pipes cut open. Now the bike won't start or run right! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!11!

I did run some Seafoam in the tank, but my bike idles all over the place, only runs on PRI . Fix me, Internet!!

"P.S. - I got these really cool pods for $5 each from Thailand, so the bike should be much faster now, right?"
                    So like the choppers and bobbers, pods are a source of headaches that mix with other newb wrenching issues with old carbs, etc.

That said, if you do go with pods and a pipe, just be ready to work through the re-jetting and a lot of trial and error. I like my pods and pipe, and I am still a newbie wrench guy. Read up on how these carbs work, and you will have a much better grasp on why the pods and pipe cause jetting problems. Of course, you will still run into puzzles, but starting with a good base understanding of your bike, its carbs and jetting will make it easier on you (and us )

Comment

If your putting them on for looks, your wasting time and money

If your putting them on for enhancement, and you have the time and money go for it...

I kept my stock airbox, even though the bike has a 4-1 pipe, took me and spyug 15 minutes to sync the carbs and have the bike running and idling perfectly.

Comment

I never much liked the induction roar you get with pods and almost considered it a necessary evil on bikes built for racing. Not like the sound of a nice 4-1 - that's something else .

If you know how to tune carbs it's an ok mod otherwise. If you don't know what you're doing then I would suggest not touching with a barge pole. The potential performance gain will only be noticeable if you ride your bike like you stole it. If you ride it sensibly (like I do mostly nowadays) it might even feel less powerful.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Sleeptauntaunsleep,

It's always best, if you can, to get your bike running well in stock form before you start modifying the intake and exhaust. It's makes the procedure so much easier to diagnose and troubleshoot. Let me try to help you get it running well. I'm going to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you all so much. Never have been a part of a forum with so much response, let alone positive attitudes and real help. I know I won't bother looking for a forum anymore. I've taken all of your words to heart, and hope it all helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X