Ran.... then died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran.... then died

I just got my brand new coils in the mail today. Hooked them up, filled the tank, pulled the clutch, pushed the button, heard it want to start, started, reved it a little, then died. Repeated previous process & started good, but died if not held at faster than idle. So I reved it a little to get some fuel flow, as I assume this thing hasnt started for years, then all of it died, gauges, lights, starter, no power. Result was a blown fuse. Seemed like a harmless fault. I replaced it & now I have no spark. Any ideas?

Good news would be greatly appreciated as the transmission in my truck went out for the third time in 9 months today while running around looking for spark plug caps for my bike.

Blown main fuse, also check ignition fuse IF you have one. If this critter hasn't ran for a while, I'd disconnect stator to be on safe side in case charging circuit is pushing high voltage.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea, my main was blown but after I replaced it I got no spark. And while I was at it I cleaned the contacts in the fuse box & replaced all of them.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like you have several problems; 1) the carbs need proper cleaning, 2) the wiring harness, connectors and grounds need cleaning and repairing, 3) valves need adjustment, 4) air intake system needs repair.

CLICK HERE and go through the maintenance lists. You'll find testing and repair guides on my little website. Once you've gone through the lists and fixed everything it should run like a top. Old bikes need proper maintenance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X