New petcock. Should it make a noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New petcock. Should it make a noise.

I just received a new OEM petcock. When I move it from on to prime, it makes a fairly loud noise. It might be the vacuum diaphragm doing something.

My old one doesn't do this. None of the one's I've owned does. But,,,maybe that's a problem.

I better add that this is while holding it in my hand with no fuel in it. Maybe it will quieten down once the fuel gets in there.

Do you guys think I have a defective petcock. I'm going to call the dealer when I get home to see if he has another that he can check to see if it does the same thing. Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the noise (dry). I will operate differently when wet.

Comment

dry or wet I don't think it should make any noise, there really isn't anything in there to make noise.

you don't say what kind of noise, a click, a ping, a ????

mine does not make any noise, wet or dry

there could be something binding inside, or some crap from manufacturing, but either get it checked out, or open it up and see for yourself, or take it back and get a new one, now if they all do the same and make noise, well maybe it's the way they are now designed and made ?

Comment

I wouldn't operate the lever when it's dry, it needs lubrication, gas, WD40, anything to lubricate those rubber parts which are probably dried out and catching the internals, or breaking free when you turn it. I would soak it in gas, or at least shoot some WD40 into it, loosen and lube everything up, then see if it makes noise.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
          I wouldn't worry about the noise (dry). I will operate differently when wet.
          That's what I would be worrying about- how it will work when wet. Hopefully, it's not a petcock that been sitting in dealer's inventory since 1980. At least, complain to dealer, in case this petcock malfunctions two months from now.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            That's what I would be worrying about- how it will work when wet. Hopefully, it's not a petcock that been sitting in dealer's inventory since 1980. At least, complain to dealer, in case this petcock malfunctions two months from now.
            You think they still manufacture these parts? I seriously doubt it. Don't think it's been sitting in a dealers warehouse, more likely a distributors warehouse, whose guess how long or how many years. Lubricate it!
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              You think they still manufacture these parts? I seriously doubt it.
              Yes, I do- why not, ideal part for small manufacturing company, doesn't require much tooling reinvestment or upgrades. Should be easy to crank out 1000 units a day with skilled help. The petcock I got from Florida guy appeared new and had slightly better casting finish than my original 1980 one - both stamped "made in Japan".
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree tom, the one I purchased 2 years ago did not appear to be NOS at all. It appeared to be relatively "fresh" if you will. Since petcocks tend to be shared across various platforms, the batch size may even be larger than your estimate.
                There is a moving part in there, so it is possible to make noise. I would take it apart and see what is going on. Also a good time to lube the o-ring with some silicone grease to make it quiet.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Hmmm. Again I didn't know I had all these replies. I got notification on the first batch, but nothing after that. Anyone know what's up with that.

So here's an update.

I called the dealer and let him hear the noise over the phone. He said it sounded normal for being dry. That there's a lip in there,,,, and blah blah blah. He did not have another one in stock to compare it to though. This one was old stock. He said he would get me a new one if it gave me any problem's. So that's good.

Well I didn't have any WD-40, so I poured gas in it. It still made the noise. So I poured some 2 stroke oil in it. It still made the noise. So. I sucked on the vacuum port and put my tongue over it, wich it stayed, and guess what. No more noise. So I'm thinking this thing is all right. Do you guy's agree.

Also. I don't know how fresh a fresh petcock would be, but this one was made in 2009,,,for my 1982. Or at least it will fit it. And it has all the same marking's as my original,,,if it's an original.

Comment

That would be new stock. New Old Stock (NOS) means it was made back in the day and has been sitting on a shelf for decades.
                    If you rotate it and look at the 4 screws, you can remove them and examine the internals. There willl be a diaphram and an o-ring. I would lube that part of it while examining for wear. No harm will come to any animals or COCK ASSY FUEL by doing this.
                    Then I would install it and ride away.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
                      Hmmm. Again I didn't know I had all these replies. I got notification on the first batch, but nothing after that. Anyone know what's up with that.

So here's an update.

I called the dealer and let him hear the noise over the phone. He said it sounded normal for being dry. That there's a lip in there,,,, and blah blah blah. He did not have another one in stock to compare it to though. This one was old stock. He said he would get me a new one if it gave me any problem's. So that's good.

Well I didn't have any WD-40, so I poured gas in it. It still made the noise. So I poured some 2 stroke oil in it. It still made the noise. So. I sucked on the vacuum port and put my tongue over it, wich it stayed, and guess what. No more noise. So I'm thinking this thing is all right. Do you guy's agree.

Also. I don't know how fresh a fresh petcock would be, but this one was made in 2009,,,for my 1982. Or at least it will fit it. And it has all the same marking's as my original,,,if it's an original.
                      I ordered a new petcock from Boulevard during their Christmas Sale, and experienced the same thing you described. That one dribbled a little from the vaccum nipple, and the carbs were sucking a bit of gas through there. I was convinced it was not working properly so I got a new one.

The new one made a bit of the same dry sound, a little like the noise a flap of paper makes when sucked up against a fan casing, but it worked fine when installed.

Neither of the petcocks were NOS.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Most diaphragms I've heard click.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          I bought one from local suzuki dealer,had to order it......It was junk in three months!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
                            I bought one from local suzuki dealer,had to order it......It was junk in three months!!!!!

What was the date on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X