Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank V’s Auxiliary Fuel Tank to tune Carbs

Guys,
    Whats your feelings on using a Auxilary Fuel Tank v’s the Gas Tank to fine tune your bike>? I sometimes feel that me Auxilary tank is starving the carbs for enough fuel.. any thoughts>???

just did a carb tune on my bike, using an IV bottle method, had no issues, actually didn't even use up all the gas we poured in....

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
      I sometimes feel that me Auxilary tank is starving the carbs for enough fuel.. any thoughts>???
      The only way that your tank is going to starve the carbs is if it runs dry.

The tubing between your tank and the carbs might be another matter. However, since virtually all the the "fine tuning"
      that you will do with the tank off the bike is at or near idle speed, it doesn't really take much in the way of tubing
      to provide enough gas to the carbs.

Just as important, is that you need to have your gas level in your aux tank at about the same height as the stock tank.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The tubing between your tank and the carbs might be another matter. However, since virtually all the the "fine tuning"
        that you will do with the tank off the bike is at or near idle speed, it doesn't really take much in the way of tubing

Just as important, is that you need to have your gas level in your aux tank at about the same height as the stock tank.

Thanks Steve - I have actually NEVER ran the tank on the bike yet, when I saved her, she wasn’t running and the tank was filled with crap, so I got a auxiliary tank and its suspended right above the bike from the ceiling. (will post pic later) I just feel like for some reason the bike is staving for fuel, all the floats are matched, the bike is completely stock, carbs rebuilt and cleaned, and clean and cleaned, new boots all around, no air leaks. When I crack the throttle, its just seams like it takes to long for the fuel to recover.

Comment

I have tried to rig up auxiliary tanks, but finding a good way to connect the fuel tube to a bottle always goes sideways for me.

So I just set the tank on a stack of milk crates to keep it at the appropriate height, and then run a longer fuel line to feed the carbs for synching, tuning, etc. Also, I like to use a low-flow inline filter as a "quick connect" for the longer line. That way the line from the carb T to the tank stays connected to the T. I can plug in the filter to connect another length of line to remote tank, and when everything checks out, I disconnect the filter and extra line and reconnect the tank to the line running off the carb T.

ASCII diagram:

[Carb T] - - - [Filter] - - - - - [Tank]

for testing becomes

[Carb T] - - - [Tank]

for operation.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
            I have tried to rig up auxiliary tanks, but finding a good way to connect the fuel tube to a bottle always goes sideways for me.

So I just set the tank on a stack of milk crates to keep it at the appropriate height, and then run a longer fuel line to feed the carbs for synching, tuning, etc. Also, I like to use a low-flow inline filter as a "quick connect" for the longer line. That way the line from the carb T to the tank stays connected to the T. I can plug in the filter to connect another length of line to remote tank, and when everything checks out, I disconnect the filter and extra line and reconnect the tank to the line running off the carb T.

ASCII diagram:

[Carb T] - - - [Filter] - - - - - [Tank]

for testing becomes

[Carb T] - - - [Tank]

for operation.

HTH
            OKOK... Cool... Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              I have tried to rig up auxiliary tanks, but finding a good way to connect the fuel tube to a bottle always goes sideways...

HTH
              Try the wee bottle you get with battery acid. .. Just snip the nozzle end off and slide it into the fuel pipe...

And a small bolt i the vacume pipe ...
              It works brilliently.

Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
                Try the wee bottle you get with battery acid. .. Just snip the nozzle end off and slide it into the fuel pipe...

And a small bolt i the vacume pipe ...
                It works brilliently.

Xxx
                I might do that. I see loads of pics where people use gear oil bottles and other containers with a tapered end/spout. Without a need for gear oil or the the other liquids I see offered in that style of bottle, I never got hold of one. Not going to spend $15 on gear oil just to salvage the bottle.

To my own shame, I have been coveting a toilet bowl cleanser bottle in the house because it looks like the right shape of top. "Man these toilets are filthy!" - but repeated cleanings haven't emptied that bottle yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
                  Thanks Steve - I have actually NEVER ran the tank on the bike yet, when I saved her, she wasn’t running and the tank was filled with crap, so I got a auxiliary tank and its suspended right above the bike from the ceiling. (will post pic later) I just feel like for some reason the bike is staving for fuel, all the floats are matched, the bike is completely stock, carbs rebuilt and cleaned, and clean and cleaned, new boots all around, no air leaks. When I crack the throttle, its just seams like it takes to long for the fuel to recover.
                  your problem doesn't sound like it is caused by fuel flow. It sounds like your carbs are not tuned.

I hazard a guess that a hesitant throttle is a rich condition? Too much fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                    your problem doesn't sound like it is caused by fuel flow. It sounds like your carbs are not tuned.

I hazard a guess that a hesitant throttle is a rich condition? Too much fuel.
                    OKOK.... I JUST re-lashed the valves (again.. long story), so I am waiting to do a GOOD sync on the carbs.. I am hoping that it shooths things out...

Comment

I may be being a bit blonde but.....

What is re lashing the valves?

Excuse my ignorance.
                      X

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Steve, what's the importance of the same height? isn't the amount of fuel regulated by the floats making the height irrelevant? just wanting to make sure I'm not doing another crazy mistake.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Until Steve answers, I will through in my thought, if I remember from my days in high school....

if it's higher it will have greater pressure pushing it through the feed tube, could cause an overflow situation

I think

but I have been known to be wrong

Comment

Hi,

Since it is a gravity-fed system, if your tank is below the carbs then fuel will not flow into the carbs. (Liquids do not flow up hill.)

Thank you! Thank you! This is Captain Obvious signing off!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well that would go without saying....

Captain Obvious....LOL

same or above, but would it matter if it was really high ? I was just thinking it would/could cause excess pressure, no ?

me not so Captain Obvious....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X