No announcement yet.

Why Would Airbox Boots slide off Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may not be relevant, but rubber does shrink. Is it possible that two of your boots have simply lost the length, stretch and yield they had when they were new?

On my tw200 ('98, and I'm sure this newish Yamaha rubber is inferior in every way to the oldish Suzuki rubber....), I fought with this connection for a long time before finding that it's a known problem with that particular bike. In the years since was new, it has shrunk, literally, almost 1/2 an inch in length over about three total, and now just barely manages to connect. It's not so much of a problem with only one lung, however.

S.

Comment

I solved that problem on my bike-550T

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      I'll try out the idea of putting extra weight behind it but getting it on isn't the issue - it's the staying on that is presenting the problem.
      When mine kept sliding off, it was because I greased them to make it easy to get them on.
      So I tried cleaning them up. That worked.
      It took some time to master the technique of getting the carbs in and out, on that bike.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
        This may not be relevant, but rubber does shrink. Is it possible that two of your boots have simply lost the length, stretch and yield they had when they were new?

On my tw200 ('98, and I'm sure this newish Yamaha rubber is inferior in every way to the oldish Suzuki rubber....), I fought with this connection for a long time before finding that it's a known problem with that particular bike. In the years since was new, it has shrunk, literally, almost 1/2 an inch in length over about three total, and now just barely manages to connect. It's not so much of a problem with only one lung, however.

S.
        Thanks. I'm using brand new rubber.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        When mine kept sliding off, it was because I greased them to make it easy to get them on.
        So I tried cleaning them up. That worked.
        It took some time to master the technique of getting the carbs in and out, on that bike.
        I'm thinking you might be right. I haven't used grease but I did notice some paint that had rubbed off the ends of each carb inside the boot. I never saw it on my old ones but maybe the new boots don't like it as well. I'll clean them out tomorrow morning and try it again using Ed's technique (haven't felt like working on it after work this week for some reason).
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So went out and tried everything again making sure I followed Ed's order exactly:

I loosened the carbs from both sets of boots
          Pulled the carbs into the rear boots and tightened each clamp down. I didn't clamp them to the stops like I did last time though.
          Put the carbs into the intake boots and those I did tighten to the stops
          Connected the top frame bracket and tightened those screws to hand tight
          Connected the side frame bracket and tightened that screw to hand tight

Here's where I'm at on the back side. The front boots are flush with the front of the carbs.

Left side

Right Side

I need to go get a new stud for my exhaust pipes so I'll look at them when I get back. Hopefully the number 1 carb won't slide back anymore but to me it's already half way off.

I'll also check to see if I can't find 1/4" wide hose clamps that might work better.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Don't use ordinary hose clips - you'll mash the rubber. Try twisting the boot in the airbox, pulling towards the carb at the same time.

Another trick is to wedge a bit of wood behind the airbox before you tighten the mounting bolts up.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Decided to post up the front of the number 1 carb looks like (sorry for the shaky hand):

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Scott,
                If the carbs are pulling out of the airbox boots why didn't you tighten the clamps all the way? Seems to me that's the thing to do.

After tightening both the carb boots and airbox boots, how does the airbox fit up to the frame? Do the airbox bolt holes align with the frame bracket holes or do you need to horse the airbox into position before the bolt will align?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed,
                  The first few times I did this they were tightened all the way; I was taking Fireman Bob's opinion above to not go that far thinking it was causing my issue.

When Josh, Steve, and I first attempted this back in April/May, we had to widen the holes in the top frame bracket for it to fit. Otherwise, you couldn't get a screw into the bracket. So now, it will fit into the bracket and the new side mount bracket allows the screw to fit right in cleanly. However, I'm a little concerned on that one because the bottom of the bracket is touching the rubber boot of the power wire onto the solenoid so I have some more grinding to do.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Airbox on finally

I ordered new airbox side clamps two weeks ago when I ordered my starter parts (Thanks Ed for the advice). Opening the package showed four brand new ones:

After taking care of the starter, I installed the carbs and airbox. Despite a small problem lining up the frame holes at first, I managed to get everything put into place. So far, it looks great

Left side:

Right side:

and the airbox mount itself lined up correctly:

I would have put the tank on and tried it out but it's pretty hot and sweaty in the garage so I decided to take a break. After a bit I'll run outside, fix the one wire that came out of the display connector, reconnect the tank and see how things play for me.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                    X