'79 Jet kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 Jet kit

I'm looking for a jet kit for my '79 750 with K&N pod filters and V&H 4 into 1 exhaust. Does anyone know of a good source? I'd rather use a jet kit than pull my hair out using trial and error, but the only kits I can find are for later models. Thanks in advance.

I am NOT a jetting "expert" by any means, but I am under the impression that the earlier carbs are much easier to set up for "pods and a pipe". You really only need larger main jets, as the rest is readily adjustable. Your needle has multiple grooves, making it easy to raise it. Your pilot circuit uses two screws for infinite adjustability. Only the main jets need to be changed. How many sizes they need to be increased would best be left to one of the "experts", but I think it's in the neighborhood of 6-8 sizes. I think the stock size is 100, so you might be looking in the range of 115 to 120. By the way, jets are relatively cheap at Z1. $1.75 each or $7 for a set of four.

By the way, ... even with a jet kit, there is still plenty of "trial and error".

Somebody please correct me if my GUESS is very far off, I'm sure Stix would appreciate it, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      jets are relatively cheap[/B][/URL] at Z1. $1.75 each or $7 for a set of four.
      So which is it Steve, $1.75 each or 4 for $7?
      TCK would be able to answer this more accurately, perhaps, but IRRC from his posts you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I am NOT a jetting "expert" by any means, but I am under the impression that the earlier carbs are much easier to set up for "pods and a pipe". You really only need larger main jets, as the rest is readily adjustable. Your needle has multiple grooves, making it easy to raise it. Your pilot circuit uses two screws for infinite adjustability. Only the main jets need to be changed. How many sizes they need to be increased would best be left to one of the "experts", but I think it's in the neighborhood of 6-8 sizes. I think the stock size is 100, so you might be looking in the range of 115 to 120. By the way, jets are relatively cheap at Z1. $1.75 each or $7 for a set of four.

By the way, ... even with a jet kit, there is still plenty of "trial and error".

Somebody please correct me if my GUESS is very far off, I'm sure Stix would appreciate it, too.

Not bad for guessing and the advice is right. I'd start at 120 on the mains and work from there. If your bike is wearing pods it takes no time at all to change the mains. The 'time consuming' job is raising the needles - but you'll only have to do that once (ok 4 times, once on each carb). Pop the clip in the second lowest position.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          So which is it Steve, $1.75 each or 4 for $7?
          Your choice.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is no jet kit for the early 750, fortunately it's very easy to tune as the previous guys have said.

A little late to decide you don't like the trial and error process, isn't it?

120 mains is probably a good guess at a starting point. Maybe a little bit bigger.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Due to shipping costs, I would order a range of 2-3 different sizes at once.

Comment

I ordered a pile of main jets from z1, and glad I did! I had it in my head I was going to only go up 1 maybe 2 sizes, but I ended up running the biggest jets I bought, which are the 100's (different bike here, 550 with pods stock pipes), but yeah, the VM's are easy as pie to tune and cheap too. Raised the needles, played with my fuel and air screws, some main jets were the only thing I bought (other than o-rings).

Comment

Working...
                X