Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!!

OK Newbie here so please be kind and shed some light on this one please!
    I have a 1980 GS 1100L that I traded my old Jeep Cherokee for. The previous owner had built the motor...as follows, Ape pistons, Stage 3 Andrews cams, and stage 3 jets with pods and headers ...4-1 collector on the pipe. Seeing how she was running way to rich when i got her, but drivable, i decided to take apart the carbs and clean them along with the NGK plugs in her too. I DID NOT move the idle screws what so ever!.. and once i put clean 93 in her, she fired up immediately..the only problem was that fuel was coming out the cracked float bowl seals...ordered new ones and perfect start up, lil weak though had to hold the choke on rev it a few times till she finally idled correctly and also adjusted the idle slightly till about 1300RPM at.
    Now with all that being said once she was running, the only thing is that she was backfiring and "popping" but ran "ok" seemed like when you hit around 6-7kRPM she wouldnt pull any harder (not sure if this is the nature of the beast)
    I decided to ride it around today...the third short distance ride so far..about 10 miles total...and still back firing.... i tried to adjust the idle air screws on the carbs and once she died out i could not get her to restart!... I peulled the plugs and cylinder 1 an 3 are fouled out and running way to rich and black in color!...where 2 and 4 appear to be normal.
    i removed the points cover...as what im guessing that this bike has poins..but it doesnt???? it looks like a Dyna Ignition system with the "rotors" slightly worn out??? could this be the over all problem??? i dunno i ready to kick myself in the A@! for this one!!!!! i also ordered the carb syc tool and the service manual which should be her next week or so...ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...AT MY WITS END AND I KNOW ITS A DUMB EASY FIX!!!!!! PLEASE HELP.

You need to do a thorough cleaning as described here: Nessism's carb cleaning tutorial
    Until you do this, you will be chasing your tail.

And welcome to the forum, BTW.

Comment

What do you mean by the Dyna rotors are worn out. There is one rotor in the middle and two pickups (coils)
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The 80 model came with an electronic ignition, so it could be stock.

Comment

If 1 and 3 are fouled, those 2 carbs could be set too rich.

-check the float levels, are they all the same?
          -check your mixture screws if you have CV carbs, and if you have older Throttle Slide carbs, check the fuel screws, count how many turns Out from Lightly Seated when compared to the other non fouled carbs.

As for the popping, Where does it do it?
          Is it a "light" pop, or like a shotgun?
          If you're popping at Idle, you could be running very rich. If you have Flames coming from the tail-pipe, you're obviously rich.
          If you're popping at Deceleration, you're probably getting Air in the exhaust somewhere.

I'm going off what my 78 did when it was running rich.

Comment

TY thats a great DIY... mos.def. gonna use that one!

The backfiring is a light pop at idle it doesnt constently do it though, every fe sconds to sometimes 10 or more...also when you are on the throttle itll "pop" a bit, and especially when you let off the throttle and wind down, theres more popping! NO FLAMES that i can see.

@Chef...the ignition in the bike looks similar to my civic that I race. looks like there are two "rotors" on either side that appear to have some wear to em, not burnt...just worn out...thats why i was thinking the reason for the possible misfires..only on 1 and 3 cylinders...2 and 4 are clean.

not sure, still waiting for my manual from Old Bike Barn...terrible service and have been waiting for almost 2 weeks now!!!!
            Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

When you go though the carbs do not shortcut anything or you will be sorry. You also might want to write down all the jet numbers, including the needle number, and figure out how they compare to stock. Most guys running a modified bike like that start with a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, then tune from there.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. sologsl,

Just go through the maintenance lists linked below (in your "mega-welcome") and you'll have a fine running GS in no time. Properly cleaned carburetors, properly adjusted valves, tightly sealed air intake system, fresh fluids and filters (don't forget brake fluid and pads!), and a clean electrical system will go a long way in helping you enjoy your motorcycle. On my little website you'll even find information on replacing the brake lines and rebuilding calipers and master cylinders.

Now I'm going to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by sologsl View Post
                  not sure, still waiting for my manual from Old Bike Barn...terrible service and have been waiting for almost 2 weeks now!!!!
                  Since you are new here, you are not aware that Old Bike Barn provides terrible, if any, service. You will be waiting forever, so in the meantime I suggest you download the manual from BassCliff's web site: Site
                  It is in the middle column, about 2/3 of the way down.

Comment

Working...
                  X