fuel tank sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tank sender

Guys, I have just got hold of an old GS1000 chain drive tank with no fuel level sender unit, there is one from a GS1000G/GS1100 on ebay for a good price but I checked the part numbers and they are different, does anyone know if it will fit? Photo of tank below

cheers

RB

If the gasket is the same part number, I would say yes.
    The float arm might need a slight bend in it at the most.

Eric

Comment

Who needs a gas gauge !!! I would suspect it will not fit. It is on the wrong side according to you picture..

Comment

Well the plot thickens...the rubber gasket part numberws are different, I had a idea it might be very different, if the 1000 chain drive and the G are on opposite sides then the tank would show full when empty...lol

cheers for the info, saved me £19...lol

RB

Comment

I have a few tanks that I could check.
          It could take a while though.
          Have you tried any of those helpful/knowledgable chaps that only tend to post in the OT Section?
          As they never care too much about these bikes, they tend to only stay in that section.
          Perhaps you could post the question in OT?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Have you tried any of those helpful/knowledgable chaps that only tend to post in the OT Section?
            Perhaps you could post the question in OT?
            Just one small problem with that, Eric. It's called "Forum Rules".

Off Topic Discussion Area
            This area is to be used as the general discussion area. No technical questions are to be posted here.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

7981GS, don't go checking anything yet (but thanks for the offer). I will drop the ebay seller a note, he is a breaker of bikes like GS1000s and the likes, he may well know if it will fit or not. I am stuck offshore on an oil rig for the next 3 weeks and I haven't even seen the tank yet so might just have to wait before I commit to any buying

RB

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Just one small problem with that, Eric. It's called "Forum Rules".

Good point.

Most of them don't even know what a GS looks like anyway yet alone help anyone with them.

Eric

Comment

Hey Lynn...the sending unit goes in on the petcock sdie and that where it is on that tank. Look and youll see the reinforced collar the bolts go into.. And despite the different part numbers, youll find that the 1000 units mounting plate and gaskest are all the same. Youll have to tweek the arm like was mentioned up or down to calibrate the sending unit to the guage though. I get exactly 2 1/2 gallons in a 5 gallon can and if the needles settles right on the half tank mark its right..if not I drain the tank, remove the unit and tweek it in the appropriate direction. Then reinstall and test again. May take a few tries to be satisfied with where the needle settles so dont get too frustrtaed.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hi chuck
                    cheers for the info, thats me off to purchase the bits...

something to look forward to when I get home.....

RB

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Youll have to tweek the arm like was mentioned up or down to calibrate the sending unit to the guage though. I get exactly 2 1/2 gallons in a 5 gallon can and if the needles settles right on the half tank mark its right..if not I drain the tank, remove the unit and tweek it in the appropriate direction.
                      Personally, if I were to go through the effort required to calibrate a fuel gauge (and I haven't, yet), I would do it at the REServe mark. I would put enough gas in the tank so that it runs in the RUN position. Put a hose from the petcock to your fuel supply can, apply vacuum to the petcock, let it run until it stops. That is where you will need to switch to REServe. I like to have the gauge needle crossing into the red zone at this time. That will give you a visual indicator when you are about needing to find your petcock lever, AND it also continues to register on the gauge as you use your reserve supply. While you are still in 'calibrate' mode, go ahead and let the tank run out while in REServe (or PRIme), to see just how far it goes down on the gauge. I don't really care how far over "Full" it goes, don't really care if the tank is at half when the gauges shows half, as I don't have to do anything at either of those times. When it hits the red zone, though, ...

This is yet another time that Mr. Nessism's signature comes into play: "To measure is to know".
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There's a few sending units on E-bay, but they're not cheap, seems like anything to do with the GS1000 these days isn't.
                        eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I think I was lucky with this, bought a few things from this lad and never had any issues

RB

Comment

Working...
                          X