Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running like crap after wash

Hi folks!

My motorcycle is running like **** after i washed it with a garden hose.. It is a GS650 81' katana with aftermarket pods.. The engine was hot when i washed it..

It came some water into the pods, but i've dried them now, and it is still running bad.. I've also drained the carbs..

There's no stumbling or anything, and it goes to full rpm.. but it is terribly slow and weak, and you almost can't run uphill

If you still have the Bakelite spark plug boots, they are most likely dried out from age and soaking up water like a sponge. FYI, it's not a real good idea to rapidly cool a hot motor. Warm to the touch is ok. Z1 Enterprises should have NKG replacements that are quite reasonable.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
      If you still have the Bakelite spark plug boots, they are most likely dried out from age and soaking up water like a sponge. FYI, it's not a real good idea to rapidly cool a hot motor. Warm to the touch is ok. Z1 Enterprises should have NKG replacements that are quite reasonable.
      yes i still have the original spark plug boots.. so you think it might be an electrical problem?? i tried to blow the caps dry.. i've also tried to clean the carbs now, but no changes.. still running bad with no power at all.. it won't even run on idle, and the spark plugs turned black..

what about the head gasket?? maybe it didn't handle the cold water??
      Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jordraatt View Post
        yes i still have the original spark plug boots.. so you think it might be an electrical problem?? i tried to blow the caps dry.. i've also tried to clean the carbs now, but no changes.. still running bad with no power at all.. it won't even run on idle, and the spark plugs turned black..

what about the head gasket?? maybe it didn't handle the cold water??
        Most likely the coils/wires/plug caps got wet and one or more cylinders is not firing.

I suggest you start the engine from cold and carefully monitor the header pipe temperature to see if each cylinder is firing. Be careful not to burn yourself. I suspect you will find a cold pipe or two. You can try spraying the plug wire and cap in question with WD-40 so see if that helps but the firing may not come back completely until the engine fully drys off. You can also try laying each plug against the side of the engine to see if you are getting spark on all four cylinders.

BTW, you might want to pull off the plug caps by unscrewing them from the leads, snipping off about 3/8" from each lead, then screwing the plug cap back on. May not help the problem but a good idea regardless on 30 year old plug wires.

BTW2, hope you rejetted your carbs for use with those pods. Sometimes the pods can get water logged which blocks airflow, particularly with cheap paper type pods.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Good time to switch for some nice ACCEL coils and wires.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Once the caps degrade and get wet they are pretty much gone, so drying is not the ticket. It could be other components that got moisture in them as well, as Nessism pointed out, but unless you stuck the hose under the tank, the caps are the most likely culprit. I believe the coils are also wrapped in a Bakelite like material.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

okey, thanks.. i'll try to wait until the engine gets cold and dry, and check the spark on each cylinder..

so you say that the symptoms here most likely refer to an engine running on 3 or 2 cylinders??

i guess that it would have been stumbling if it was the carbs..

ps! yes, the carbs are re-jetted and is running like a dream, and i dried the pods, which are K&N..

Comment

Still would go with some new coils and wires. Think you would be surprised how much better it will respond. Coils tend to weaken over time. The stock ones on my bike after about 4 years had already started to lose power. We tested them against some new ones and sure enough. I went with ACCEL from Dennis Kirk. Sure did bring the bike back alive. I just tested the coils not to long ago and at 24 years old they are as strong as ever. ACCEL makes some good stuff.

Originally posted by jordraatt View Post
                okey, thanks.. i'll try to wait until the engine gets cold and dry, and check the spark on each cylinder..

so you say that the symptoms here most likely refer to an engine running on 3 or 2 cylinders??

i guess that it would have been stumbling if it was the carbs..

ps! yes, the carbs are re-jetted and is running like a dream, and i dried the pods, which are K&N..
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  Still would go with some new coils and wires. Think you would be surprised how much better it will respond. Coils tend to weaken over time. The stock ones on my bike after about 4 years had already started to lose power. We tested them against some new ones and sure enough. I went with ACCEL from Dennis Kirk. Sure did bring the bike back alive. I just tested the coils not to long ago and at 24 years old they are as strong as ever. ACCEL makes some good stuff.
                  thanks for the tips, but i'm on a tight budget right now.. so i think i'll order just the caps and the wires..

but folks, how is it i can't dry them out??

Comment

problem solved.. there was an electrical fracture.. but thanks for the advice, i am going to upgrade my ignition system with new coils
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Could be a bad coil for 1/4.

Comment

Wet K&N's will just cause a little stumble if you open the throttle all the way before they start to dry themselves out from air flow.

Comment

Check the price of the Dyna green coils and 8mm wires on Z1.

Comment

Working...
                          X