1100E jetting thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E jetting thoughts

OK, so after unsuccessfully attempting to fix some carburetion problems with a full carb clean and rebuild, I ordered a Dynojet kit. The PO rejetting this thing, and stacked shims under the needle like it was going out of style.

Anyway, what I have is an 1100E with APE pod filters, Yoshi Stage-1 cams, and a V&H megaphone. I'll be installing the Dynojet stage 3 kit, but I'm wondering if it comes with the air jets? It currently has 170 air jets in it now, and if that's not right, I want to order the right ones so I can install them along with the kit.

Any ideas/thoughts on the overall situation? If I need air jets, should I go to Z-1, or elsewhere? Thanks for any help, I need it.....

It comes with DH160 Pilot Air Jets. Not sure how they differ from Mikuni sizes. I know the main jets have a different numbering system.

Comment

Keep the pilot air-jet stock.
      Start with this jetting
      138 main jet
      47.5 pilot jet
      jet needle set at third notch up from the bottom
      Idle mixture screws out 3-3.5 turns out
      Make sure you synchronize the carbs.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Keep the pilot air-jet stock.
        Start with this jetting
        138 main jet
        47.5 pilot jet
        jet needle set at third notch up from the bottom
        Idle mixture screws out 3-3.5 turns out
        Make sure you synchronize the carbs.
        Will do. Any idea what the stock air jet is? The PO installed a 170, and I guess the kit comes with a Dynojet 160. Any idea how the Mikuni sizes and the Dynojet sizes compare?

Comment

Comment

Ok, good info. I did recall that Basscliff has a stock jetting chart on his excellent website, and discovered that the stock air jet is a 170. So if the Dynojet kit comes with a 160, and according to the cross-reference, that's a couple sizes smaller than stock (it the equiviallant to a Mikuni 150), is the thought that the reduced restriction of removing the airbox allows too much flow through the stock 170, and the Dynojet kit actually steps the jet down to make up for the increased flow?

Just thinking out loud, I'll follow the directions in the kit first and foremost, and see how that work out.

Comment

Air jets are by size and are the same.
              Mikuni jets are spec'd by fuel flow and DJ jets by size.
              Follow my jetting suggestion and you should be riding right away with a big smile.
              I've done enough to know.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X