need help with carbs settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with carbs settings

1981 GS550T, rebuilding the carbs and can not remember how many turns the air and fuel pilot screws go in, any help would be awesome, Thanks.

Screw all the way down, seating LIGHTLY. Out 2 turns to start.

Comment

thanks, ill give it a try

Comment

The 81 550T has the CV carbs so the pilot jet is tightly seated inside it's slot within the carbs and make sure to put the rubber plug back in.

The idle mixture screw is what Koolaid Kid is referring to when he says lightly seated and then two full turns out. But I have done 3 full turns and had no issues starting so you might want to try that first.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That is what he meant, cowboy. I merely interpreted. I personally start at 2 1/2, but BassCliff's document says 2 so that is what I typed.
          You have to understand that to change up or down one size on that jet means 1 1/2 to 2 turns on the screw, and 3 out is considered almost borderline. For example, I went up one size on the jet and the screw went from almost 4 turns out to just over 2 turns out. Of course, this is bike specific, and only a wideband (sniffer) / plug chop / fast idle method will dial it in for you.

Comment

i did not have rubber plugs on mine, however this was rebuilt by the PO and he was an idiot when doing so, should i look into those rubber plugs?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, you need those rubber plugs or it will run like poo poo.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by denton550 View Post
                i did not have rubber plugs on mine, however this was rebuilt by the PO and he was an idiot when doing so, should i look into those rubber plugs?
                they should be in there.... Inside the carbs, seen once the bowls are off... The rubber plugs sit under the pole moulded into the float bowls... They ate about 8mm in diameter and sit over the tiny jets.

Good luck
                (ive got spare 550 carbs if your interested...

X

Good luck

Comment

if people tell you they have rebuilt the carbs, don't hold your breath that all the parts are there when you purchase it....

Comment

Working...
                  X