need help locating choke assembly and air box top cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help locating choke assembly and air box top cover

I recently bought a gs550T 1981, and i noticed the choke cable is not attached to anything, I just found out my choke assembly is missing, the PO has misplaced it along with a couple of other crucial key components, any idea on where i can find a replacement? I have looked around and found them to be discontinued. Also don't have the air box top cover piece, is it necessary if i have replaced the air filter with a new one or do i need it in order for the bike to run properly

Hi babes. Do you mean the choke mechanism.is missinf from the carbs or justthat the cable isnt connected?
    Also the airbox cover is needed to get a good pressure going inside the carbs.. But you could make one that fits snuggly if your handy...
    Alternatively im sure someone here has a spare...
    Good.luck.
    Xxx
    Where are you based?

Comment

A member here might have airfilter box cover- or ebay. "choke" knob probably came up thru steering stem-see pic
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea, it might be helpful to know which part of the assembly you are referring to - the carb side or the handlebar side. I found a couple of rod assemblies for the 82 550L (those and the T share the same carbs) but not the main bracket on EBay. How about taking a picture and showing us what you are missing.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by denton550 View Post
          I recently bought a gs550T 1981, and i noticed the choke cable is not attached to anything, I just found out my choke assembly is missing, the PO has misplaced it along with a couple of other crucial key components, any idea on where i can find a replacement? I have looked around and found them to be discontinued. Also don't have the air box top cover piece, is it necessary if i have replaced the air filter with a new one or do i need it in order for the bike to run properly
          i have an 82 550L that, if i can't get to fire over in the next few days, is going to become a parts bike. it has the choke assembly on the carbs, but the cable is useless and there is no lever on the handlebar. let me know what you need and we may be able to work out a deal...

Comment

i have no way to attach the choke cable to the carb assembly, i have the cable and cluster on the bars, but nothing to connect it to down below. and i was thinking of just using a piece of aluminum on the air box, but if you know of anyone with a cover, I'm looking.

Comment

What are you missing "down below" ? attached pic shows linkage layout ; choke bar is actuated by linkage just right of center. cable pulls it up and bar slides to right in pic
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i am missing that entire assembly, with the choke bar and everything attached on top of the 3rd carb.

Comment

i am missing that entire assembly, with the choke bar and everything attached on top of the 3rd carb.
                  Denton - try these people....they should have what you need... Rob

A salvage yard located in Florence, Montana. We stock Japanese, European, American used motorcycle, ATV, Snomobile parts. Worldwide shipping available.

Comment

I have a bracket and possibly a choke rod.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I have a bracket and possibly a choke rod.
                      do you have any pictures? I have the choke rod, just no way to connect it the choke cable

Comment

do you have any pictures? I have the choke rod, just no way to connect it the choke cable
                        Not at the moment since I'm out in the middle of the ocean.
                        I will when I get home next Monday if you're still interested.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                        X