bought new carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought new carbs

I had an accident with my stock BS34 carbs, so I needed a replacement set. I found this on ebay and bought it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/270987668161...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Of course, he's not sure what model they are, but the ad does say they came off an '80 GS1000. Once they arrive, I check the model number (46E1) and find out they are from a water-cooled '94 GSXR 1100 and they will not fit. But it didn't look like the spacing was wildly different. Thanks for my recently purchased new air boots, they were pliable enough for me to twist two of them slightly, and it looks like they are all seated fully.

To my surprise, the bike fired right up, however I had to hold the choke open manually since the cable doesn't work, and the bike was blowing massive black smoke at WOT. The stock throttle cable worked as well.

So does anyone have any experience with these BST flat-slides? Especially off a water-cooled GSXR.
    1983 GS1100E

"Of course, he's not sure what model they are, but the ad does say they came off an '80 GS1000. "

Yes, and the bike was parted out- should give you just a little pause. I think I'd find the right carbs.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
      I had an accident with my stock BS34 carbs, so I needed a replacement set. I found this on ebay and bought it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/270987668161...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Of course, he's not sure what model they are, but the ad does say they came off an '80 GS1000. Once they arrive, I check the model number (46E1) and find out they are from a water-cooled '94 GSXR 1100 and they will not fit. But it didn't look like the spacing was wildly different. Thanks for my recently purchased new air boots, they were pliable enough for me to twist two of them slightly, and it looks like they are all seated fully.

To my surprise, the bike fired right up, however I had to hold the choke open manually since the cable doesn't work, and the bike was blowing massive black smoke at WOT. The stock throttle cable worked as well.

So does anyone have any experience with these BST flat-slides? Especially off a water-cooled GSXR.
      hope you give that guy a bad review on ebay...

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
        hope you give that guy a bad review on ebay...
        Glen - maybe reach out to the below for carbs, they may have what you need, they are really good about answering e-mails also.... Rob

Bike Bone Yard, based in Missoula, Montana is a motorcycle salvage yard. We have a huge range of used motorcycle parts. We have included in the inventory used honda parts, used yamaha parts, used suzuki parts, used kawasaki parts and used american ,european bikes and parts. Used motorcycle salvage parts available for shipping anywhere in the US and world.

Comment

Glen - maybe reach out to the below for carbs, they may have what you need, they are really good about answering e-mails also.... Rob

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/gs-1100.html < may fit your bike.. $100.

Comment

Return them and get your money back.
            If he/she doesn't accept them file a claim with eBay.
            Why would you even want to deal with this headache of jetting? They aren't even close.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/gs-1100.html < may fit your bike.. $100.
              Thanks for the info, Rob. But I just need the #1 carb body so I don't want to pay that much just for that.
              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Return them and get your money back.
                If he/she doesn't accept them file a claim with eBay.
                Why would you even want to deal with this headache of jetting? They aren't even close.
                Hi Chef,

I'm still within the 14-day policy so I could definitely return them. But could you tell me what make these carbs, besides the spacing, not even close? I mean, if I wanted to buy the right model, I would have to buy something like this, right? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/carburetors-...sories&vxp=mtr

That would cost me an additional $300. Then, while searching for this topic on this forum, I find this - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=bst which says that the needles and emulsion tubes from the 750 carbs should be replaced with the set from the 1100, that would be another $250. If I wanted to do all that I would just get a set of RS carbs, but I don't want to put out that much money.

So why would this be headache for jetting? The bike starts, idles, and revs to redline with no flat spots. If I drop the main jet from 152.5 to maybe a 140 that may do away with the black smoke. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
                Glen
                1983 GS1100E

Comment

Theres a set of RS carbs right now on ebay:
                  Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Dragbike KZ Z1 Mikuni 38mm Flatslide Carbs Vintage Drag Bike Kawasaki Suzuki GS at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Comment

Hi Chef,

I'm still within the 14-day policy so I could definitely return them. But could you tell me what make these carbs, besides the spacing, not even close? I mean, if I wanted to buy the right model, I would have to buy something like this, right? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/carburetors-...sories&vxp=mtr

That would cost me an additional $300. Then, while searching for this topic on this forum, I find this - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=bst which says that the needles and emulsion tubes from the 750 carbs should be replaced with the set from the 1100, that would be another $250. If I wanted to do all that I would just get a set of RS carbs, but I don't want to put out that much money.

So why would this be headache for jetting? The bike starts, idles, and revs to redline with no flat spots. If I drop the main jet from 152.5 to maybe a 140 that may do away with the black smoke. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
                    Glen
                    My mistake if you can make them work.
                    I didn't even think they really fit.
                    I know the oil cooled 86-91 GSXR 750/1100s have the same spacing and are worth the trying but I was not aware that the water cooled motors would fit.
                    My hats off to you if you can get crisp response throughout the throttle range.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                      Theres a set of RS carbs right now on ebay:
                      Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Dragbike KZ Z1 Mikuni 38mm Flatslide Carbs Vintage Drag Bike Kawasaki Suzuki GS at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Might be worth keeping an eye on.
                      well hot damn, that's the cheapest set I've seen in a long time. I usually find the new ones for $800+. thanks!
                      1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        My mistake if you can make them work.
                        I didn't even think they really fit.
                        I know the oil cooled 86-91 GSXR 750/1100s have the same spacing and are worth the trying but I was not aware that the water cooled motors would fit.
                        My hats off to you if you can get crisp response throughout the throttle range.
                        Hi Chef,

I'm just curious really. Everything I've found on this forum made it sound like the spacing was so different that there was no way they would fit. If I had known ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have bought them, but the ad said "may or may not be GSXR" so I couldn't tell if they were off an air or w/c bike. I know I should have asked the seller a question about the actual model # first, but I figured those carbs at that price would be snapped up in an instant.

So I really surprised that all I had to do was twist the inner boots about a 1/4 turn and all the carbs seated flat. But I'm sure on the older bikes that have the air boots that bolt on to the head, they're no way they would fit. So I was really just curious if anyone went through the same experience, you know? If I could get this $200 set of carbs running great, I'd be really stoked. Of course, the link above for the RS carbs is really getting me going.

Thanks,
                        Glen
                        Last edited by Glen; 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM.
                        1983 GS1100E

Comment

well hot damn, that's the cheapest set I've seen in a long time. I usually find the new ones for $800+. thanks!
                          No problem man, I already have my RS 38's. Getting ready to mount them today.
                          Hope you get them

Comment

If they are GSX instead of GSXR then they are off an oil cooler

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                              No problem man, I already have my RS 38's. Getting ready to mount them today.
                              Hope you get them
                              I'm still running that top-end you sold me
                              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X