Removing air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing air box

I have been thinking about removing the air box and putting cone filters onto the carbs. Is it as easy as just doing that or will it need to be fined tuned since it will be changing airflow a little?

There are lots of threads on here about doing that. You'll need to rejet so depending on what sort of bike you have will determine what you need to do (kit or trial and error).

Might want to add your bike info into your signature block (User CP, Edit Signature)
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Unless you have a reason more than "they look cool" I would not do it.

You will need to rejet, and fine tune... May as well rebuild the carbs correctly while you are in there... If you are going to rejet, may as well go to a better exhaust... oh ya, rejet is different depending on what pipes... If you insist, at least go with high quality pods, Like K&N or APE. Don't waste the money on the cheaper EMGO or knock offs. If you go pods, you will have to tinker with your carbs just about any time the weather changes... The performance of a well tuned bike with the STOCK airbox is more than amazing.

I know this, because I run APE pods with a Kerker exhaust. Rebuilt carbs with a Dynojet Stage III kit. I tried cheaper pods, but never could get them to tune. I had to chose between replacing my damaged air box and exhaust with stock or go with pods and pipes.

IF I had known how much work and money it would be before I got it running consistantly, I would have paid the price for stock OEM parts!

Comment

Working...
      X