GS wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS wont start

I had my GS550 in the shop a few weeks ago, it had the carbs cleaned and synced and the stator replaced. It was running fine and then I swapped out the handle bars and connected the clutch wires together so I can start it without holding the clutch. It will start with carb cleaner but then shut right off. Any suggestions to what this could be? thanks!

Hi,

Sounds like a fueling problem. Could be anything from a lousy "carb cleaning" to a faulty petcock.

You can read hundreds of posts about all of the "less than stellar" work that bike shops do on these old bikes. Most of us do all of our own work. Click the link in my sig, go to my website, and learn how to do all the basics from carb cleaning to electrical repair.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If it was running fine (lucky you) and you messed with switches during handlebar changeover, I'd check to see whether the plugs are firing-if they are, doublecheck plug wires are on correct plug. Then, after some cranking but no start, inspect plugs to see if they are wet or dry.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        If it was running fine (lucky you) and you messed with switches during handlebar changeover, I'd check to see whether the plugs are firing-if they are, doublecheck plug wires are on correct plug. Then, after some cranking but no start, inspect plugs to see if they are wet or dry.
        If it starts briefly with starting fluid, it is clearly getting spark...

Turn your petcock to prime, see if it starts. If not, pull the fuel line and see if gas is making it out of the tank. the petcock is something that can go bad THAT quickly. No warning.
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
        X