raising needles question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raising needles question

ok ill make it fast...im to poor to get jet kit for a while..i got a 4-1 header, 120 mains..stock shims/needles/airbox

i got another set of carbs..will it hurt to take the single stock shim an add it to mineto raise the needle or is it just not worth the time

also if i do that can the snorkel come off the back of the airbox? ( i ran without it once cause i knocked it off tucking some wires behind it.. and it sounded neat lol)

First of all, you don't add anything to raise the needles.

That is because the spring pushes the needle UP until it is stopped by the nylon spacer hitting the plastic piece that is held to the slide by the circlip. To raise the needles, you need to take out the nylon spacer and install a couple of small washers that, together, will be thinner than the nylon spacer.

Second, if you remove the snorkle, I know there are several people that would be interested in buying it from you.

Of course, you will regret selling it after it's gone, because it actually does quite a bit to help the bike run right, but it's your call.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      First of all, you don't add anything to raise the needles.

That is because the spring pushes the needle UP until it is stopped by the nylon spacer hitting the plastic piece that is held to the slide by the circlip. To raise the needles, you need to take out the nylon spacer and install a couple of small washers that, together, will be thinner than the nylon spacer.

Second, if you remove the snorkle, I know there are several people that would be interested in buying it from you.

Of course, you will regret selling it after it's gone, because it actually does quite a bit to help the bike run right, but it's your call.

ahhh gotcha..i can see why now people just buy the kit...

im still undecided if i wanna run pods..since like you an everyone including me knows the bike runs great with the stock box...

i like to hear the roar of them 4 carbs...but..roar= high rpm, which might break something, or get me in trouble...an might get old after a while lol...

(insert grabbing an shaking head motion)

Comment

You can try ghetto shimming the needles by flipping the spacers. Put the fat one below and the thin one on top.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          You can try ghetto shimming the needles by flipping the spacers. Put the fat one below and the thin one on top.
          Believe it or not, that is the perfect solution for the 425, but tends to be just a bit too much for most of the rest of the line.

By the way, gs850cafe, the bike in my sig that is called "#2 son: '81 850G" (click the link to see it) also has a 4-into-1 pipe, stock airbox (with K&N insert filter) and 120 main jets. Everything else is stock. Bike runs just fine as-is. Might be a bit better if I bothered to shim the needles, but it's a great running bike. Might also be that your header flows a bit better, though, requiring a little more mid-range, this one is a bit restrictive (quiet) so does fine.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Believe it or not, that is the perfect solution for the 425, but tends to be just a bit too much for most of the rest of the line.

By the way, gs850cafe, the bike in my sig that is called "#2 son: '81 850G" (click the link to see it) also has a 4-into-1 pipe, stock airbox (with K&N insert filter) and 120 main jets. Everything else is stock. Bike runs just fine as-is. Might be a bit better if I bothered to shim the needles, but it's a great running bike. Might also be that your header flows a bit better, though, requiring a little more mid-range, this one is a bit restrictive (quiet) so does fine.

same here mine runs great as is...my header is custom?? never could find one..where the 4 head pipes meet it goes to 3 inch pipe all the way back...an yes i do drag it sometimes pullin in bad places...with the baffle out i can tell it runs more lean on the low end but once the mains take over its fine(its baffled 99% of the time) and it just a 14 inch long by 2 or so inch diameter with steel wool an some small bit of packing

i have a uni foam filter the po put in i guess..is it any good?

Comment

Working...
            X