Petcock mod ideas for running an auxiliary tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock mod ideas for running an auxiliary tank

I am thinking of modding my petcock on my 78 GS1000C to allow it to shut completely off, as discussed in this thread:

This seems a simple and straightforward mod. The reason is so I can mount an auxiliary 4 gallon tank for long distance rides. The aux tank will "t" in to the fuel line into the carbs, and have its own shut off. I will start with both tanks full, running the aux tank first, then switching to the main. The idea is to shut off fuel flow from the main tank until the auxiliary is empty,shut it off, then open the main tank petcock to the "run" position as normal. I want to know when the auxiliary is empty for fuel management purposes and not just have them both feeding at the same time.

My question- if I shut off the main tank petcock, what happens to the vacuum still drawing in the vacuum line? Is there any harm to this set up?"

Critiques are welcome. I don't want any complications on a long ride in the middle of Saskatchewan.

Why not just carry the extra can and dump fuel into the regular fuel tank with a funnel maybe at some point in time? Why do you need the complication of double plumbing? So you have to stop for a minute to pour gas...big deal? less is more reliable.

Comment

Working...
    X