Is this too Lean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this too Lean??

Ok, long story short. Replaced drilled out Original exhaust with un-molested Original exhaust. Had put larger main's in for the drilled out, so went back to stock for the un-molested.

Have about 2 hours of riding on the new un-molested exhaust (my ears and I'm sure my neighbors are thankful) and this is what #2 looks like.

{click image to open larger in a new window/tab}

So, is it running too lean? I'm thinking it's right on the edge of being acceptable, but would like the collective thoughts from those on here to confirm or deny that.

1981 550T Stock intake and (now) exhaust.

Thoughts?

Amos

ps vacume line is suple and attached.

Look way lean to me. should a tan color. Did you do a plug chop?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Look way lean to me. should a tan color. Did you do a plug chop?
      Not really, just took a look after it had cooled down from my ride home from work. The rest are more tan, just that one was more on the white side as seen. The flash may be making it a little whiter than it actually is in that picture, let me upload one that was taken without flash (though the camera had problems focussing on the plug in it.

Amos
      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM. Reason: Added image

Comment

Doesn't look too bad to me. How does it run?

Assuming it runs well, has stock intake system, stock exhaust, stock jets, and everything is sealed well, I wouldn't worry too much.

If the bike is cold blooded in a serious way you might want to consider shimming the carb needles. The carbs can stay on the bike, just remove the top cover and pull out the slides w/needle. After removing the needle you want to remove the plastic spacer on top of the clip and replace it with a washer stack that is roughly 1/2 as thick as the spacer. Put the bike back together and see if it runs better. Another thing is to open the mixture screws until they are at 3 turns from lightly seated. Fine tuning steps like this (and vacuum sync of course) are what separates a really nice running bike from one that just runs decently but lacks refinement.

Good luck
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It seems to be running well, no noticeable stumbles or anything. I haven't gotten it onto the highway yet to see how it is for any sustained highway speeds. but I've had it.. Ok, close to not knowing how fast I was going.

It really isn't cold blooded at all. Actually, probably better since the switch. This morning I was off choke pretty much within a minute of starting.

Amos

Comment

I wish mine looked that good!
            That shade of tan looks fine to me.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Gray or tan is fine. It's the chalky white that you don't want.

People get really hung up on plug colors, and while that's an important indicator of how your engine is running, it isn't the end-all, be-all indicator. Stumbling at certain rpms, throttle hesitation, backfiring, excessive vibration, exhaust odors, etc... all have to be considered when tuning an engine.

I think those plugs look ok. Perhaps a tiny bit lean on the first one, perhaps towards the richer end on the second, but your engine runs leaner or richer depending upon varying atmospheric conditions.

If the other indicators of engine tune are ok, I'd be satisfied with it. Ideally you want all four plugs to be identical though. Have you synch'ed the carbs lately? Adjusted the individual air mixture screws to attain the highest rpm?
              Last edited by Griffin; 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

I think those plugs look ok. Perhaps a tiny bit lean on the first one, perhaps towards the richer end on the second, but your engine runs leaner or richer depending upon varying atmospheric conditions.
                Griff, Those are both the same plug, one pic with flash, one without.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                If the other indicators of engine tune are ok, I'd be satisfied with it. Ideally you want all four plugs to be identical though. Have you synch'ed the carbs lately? Adjusted the individual air mixture screws?
                Sync was done last year, but not since this latest change.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                  Griff, Those are both the same plug, one pic with flash, one without.
                  Amos,

Then you're good. I'm assuming that it looks lighter in the first pic than in person, and darker in the second pic than in person.

You're golden.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Okay this is the pic with no flash, the plug looks fine. Guess the flash tends to wash things out white huh.

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                    Not really, just took a look after it had cooled down from my ride home from work. The rest are more tan, just that one was more on the white side as seen. The flash may be making it a little whiter than it actually is in that picture, let me upload one that was taken without flash (though the camera had problems focussing on the plug in it.

Amos
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X