Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if this is why my bike runs like crap or not but maybe someone else knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this is why my bike runs like crap or not but maybe someone else knows

I have an 1981 gs750. On top of the motor is I believe the timing cover. It is a rectangle peace and it has a rubber hose on the back of it. For some reason it is leaking fuel out of this hose I am supper confused it is no where near the carbs I don't even know how fuel could get up there.

Not a good sign. How is your oil level? Sometimes fuel spillage from the carbs and/or the petcock can flow down into the engine and dilute the oil. If your oil looks over filled this may be the problem. In those instances you need to change the oil and filter with fresh, and fix the problem. I'd check the petcock first since that's an easier fix than tearing into the carbs.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My diagnosis... your petcock is leaking.

Comment

How much oil is in your crank case? Is it way over the sight glass?
        A leaking petcock will fill your crankcase with fuel, when it's full it could come out the breather, which is what that cover with the hose is.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I got my 1980 GS750E the same thing happened, the petcock leak filled my block up with gas. Do not try to start the bike, if there is gas in it you can burn up the bearings, and then you have a REAL BIG Issue. Open the filler plug and smell for gas, you may also see it filled that high. If so, then open the filler plug, then drain the oil and leave the oil plug off, remove the oil filter and level that open also. Let it all evaporate and dry out for a couple of days. Do not WASTE your time with a petcock rebuild kit, buy a GOOD NEW one from Suzuki or K&L, do NOT get NOS (new old stock) the diaphragm inside will be dry rotted and you will be in the same boat again soon.. when you got all the done, fill the bike with new oil and a new filter and run it, maybe get a few miles on it, and then change it all again. Rob

Comment

The piece that you are talking about is the breather cover and vent hose for the crank case. It sits on top of the valve cover.

Does the fluid coming out the breather smell like GAS?
            If so...refer to the above three posts as your petcock is shot.

If NOT... you will have to remove the breather cover and check for the screen/mesh that is supposed to be tucked into the valve cover below the breather cap. Usually, you'll need a new breather cover gasket as the old one will likely tear and shred when you pull the cover.

As to how the bike is running, what maintenance have you done to it, so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              The piece that you are talking about is the breather cover and vent hose for the crank case. It sits on top of the valve cover.

Does the fluid coming out the breather smell like GAS?
              If so...refer to the above three posts as your petcock is shot.

If NOT... you will have to remove the breather cover and check for the screen/mesh that is supposed to be tucked into the valve cover below the breather cap. Usually, you'll need a new breather cover gasket as the old one will likely tear and shred when you pull the cover.

As to how the bike is running, what maintenance have you done to it, so far?
              Your taking about this peice here, right>?? If so, there is really no way for the Gas to get in there, unless the block is flooded with fuel and oil. Rob
              Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

It smells like gas. And is smoking badly from the fuel flowing out of the vent onto the motor. there is no fuel in the oil though. I just paid a guy 300 dollers to go through the carbs and put new jets because I have k&n pods on it and aftermarket exhaust. And synchronize the carbs. He also replaced the orings and diaphragms while he was in there one was ripped

Comment

And yes rob that is the peice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsbobmaster1 View Post
                    And yes rob that is the peice.
                    OHHHHHHHHHH........ it the oil vapor from the breather tube dripping... do you have the tube hooked up the the air box>????

Comment

I have pods on it no air box.

Comment

WELL THERE YOU GO.... you are going to need to put a breaker on it, I think K&N sells one, but you may have to rig on to fit it.

when was the last time you change the oil and filiter>???

Comment

Breaker? What is that. And the oil needs to be changed it has about 3500 miles on it.

Comment

What kinda pods?

Comment

Breaker? What is that. And the oil needs to be changed it has about 3500 miles on it.
                              SORRY, breather... something like this.. and you need to change your oil..

Comment

Working...
                              X