Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if this is why my bike runs like crap or not but maybe someone else knows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adler View Post
    What kinda pods?
    alder - I dont know much about pods.. do the come with some kind of breather to hook the oil breather too>???

Comment

Oh I got you now yah I was just looking at one of those on z1. Is this a common occurrence do you know? Is that just excess oil and or why does it smell like fuel. If the oil don't smell like fuel, but the stuff coming out of the vent does what is that all about?

Comment

K&n and no for some reason I did not get an breather filter didn't know they were supposed to come with one?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsbobmaster1 View Post
          It smells like gas. And is smoking badly from the fuel flowing out of the vent onto the motor. there is no fuel in the oil though. I just paid a guy 300 dollers to go through the carbs and put new jets because I have k&n pods on it and aftermarket exhaust. And synchronize the carbs. He also replaced the orings and diaphragms while he was in there one was ripped
          Go get your $300 back, obviously it's not right. DO NOT trust some guy to work on your bike, who knows what he has done. Gas should never be coming out of the top of the engine.
          If, in fact, it is gas, DO NOT start the engine. The 2nd generation 750 have oiling problems anyway and if you run it with gas mixed in bad, bad things will happen. As said earlier it's more than likely the petcock.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Oh I got you now yah I was just looking at one of those on z1. Is this a common occurrence do you know? Is that just excess oil and or why does it smell like fuel. If the oil don't smell like fuel, but the stuff coming out of the vent does what is that all about?
            LOL.. not sure, but I know when mine is OFF, it smokes like a B-tch..LOL...and yes, smells like gas.. you have to rememember these are 30 year old bikes, and things are not as tight as they once were. I would say, change your oil and clean or change your plugs to start....

Comment

Ok thanks guys I'm gonna go through some of the steps you guys have recommended. And I really appreciate all the help. You guys are very knowledgable and always know what the deal is! I'll keep you posted and thanks again!!!

Comment

Oh wait before I go this bike has the vacuum petcock so it could still leak fuel? Just curious I thought it would only come out if it was under vacum

Comment

Oh wait before I go this bike has the vacuum petcock so it could still leak fuel? Just curious I thought it would only come out if it was under vacum
                  they dry rot inside them and leak fuel through the vacumm line.. when I found my girl, she had about 3 gallons of fuel and oil inside her... if you do a search for petcocks on here, you will see sooooooooo many posts on it.. just something to be mindfull of..

Comment

Thank you I am going to do a search before I log off!

Comment

You don't "HAVE" to have a breather filter attached to the vent hose. The filter should already be in the valve cover, under the breather cap. Many, just run the hose up and over the top of the swing arm pivot and or over the rear fender. If the engine is loose and worn, you may have a drip or ten, to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        You don't "HAVE" to have a breather filter attached to the vent hose. The filter should already be in the valve cover, under the breather cap. Many, just run the hose up and over the top of the swing arm pivot and or over the rear fender. If the engine is loose and worn, you may have a drip or ten, to deal with.
                        LOL.. marking her territory>?? LOL

Comment

Ok guys sorry it has been awhile but I finally got my carbs done right and a new petcock.i got them rejetted with some 117 jets and this thing is still falling on it's face in the middle rpm range, it is good when you first get on it then, it falls on its face then, in high rpm range it rips any thoughts? I am running cheapo filters with the stock velocity stacks modified to fit in them. I have found the carbs do not work at all with out the velocitystacks/intake boots to airbox !

Comment

It sounds to me like you need to shim the needles up some, or lower the clip position if you have clip type needles.

Comment

First upgrade from those emgo pods to ones from K&N or APE, then see how it runs.
                              I don't use emgo parts but I have read many posts about many headaches trying to tune cards with those attached.

Tank

Comment

Working...
                              X