Stops Idling when stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stops Idling when stopped

Hello forum friends, here's what happened up to this point. The bike was running great until..... Yesterday morning I put two ounces of seafoam into the tank which had somewhere around a half gallon of gas in it. Stupid, I know. Started the bike up no prob, drove down the road going to the gas station and at a stop light a mile down the road I stopped and the bike shut down. I thought that was weird. Took a few extra cranks but started back up again. Got to the gas station and filled her up, she took even longer to turn over after that but eventually did. At this point I knew something was wrong but was with a pack and we had planned a long ride so I hoped some high rpm's would fix it. The bike ran fine and didn't lose power again until at least 80 miles into the ride. I had stopped only a couple times in those 80 miles but I had at least stopped and no problem. However when she did lose power again it took a while to crank over again. A while meaning 10-15 seconds. Then it started happening every time I stopped. I also thought the bike had lost some power in first gear but wasn't sure because I was spending so much time in high rpm's maybe I forgot it was that weak in first?.?? I got home and before I even stopped the bike died at about 5 mph coming to a stop. It only happens when I come to a stop! I stayed home for an hour and need to go out so tried to start her and she wouldn't so I pop started her to get her going. Stupid, I know. She pop started, we went, we got to a stop light, she died. Pop started, bogged, went, stopped, died. At this point I said screw it, I'm going home. This time I couldn't pop start her on flat ground! After ten or so tries with no success I pushed her home. Today I went to my dealer and he said the seafoam ate up the bottom of the tank and crud is blocking the fuel flow so empty the tank, clean it and should be fine. I emptied the tank and the gas did have big red pieces of the old rubber gasket/seal between the petcock and tank. Took out that junk, cleaned the petcock filter and the filter in the gas line to the carbs. I put everything back together, added gas and she started right up! ran her about 100 yards and stopped and dead. Same EFFING problem. I can pop start her but I pop it, she's wicked boggy then goes fine but dies at a stop. I think my pilot jets are clogged and I have to clean those out now. Any other ideas? So

Originally posted by IcyHotUrBeanBag View Post
    Hello forum friends, here's what happened up to this point. The bike was running great until..... Yesterday morning I put two ounces of seafoam into the tank which had somewhere around a half gallon of gas in it. Stupid, I know. Started the bike up no prob, drove down the road going to the gas station and at a stop light a mile down the road I stopped and the bike shut down. I thought that was weird. Took a few extra cranks but started back up again. Got to the gas station and filled her up, she took even longer to turn over after that but eventually did. At this point I knew something was wrong but was with a pack and we had planned a long ride so I hoped some high rpm's would fix it. The bike ran fine and didn't lose power again until at least 80 miles into the ride. I had stopped only a couple times in those 80 miles but I had at least stopped and no problem. However when she did lose power again it took a while to crank over again. A while meaning 10-15 seconds. Then it started happening every time I stopped. I also thought the bike had lost some power in first gear but wasn't sure because I was spending so much time in high rpm's maybe I forgot it was that weak in first?.?? I got home and before I even stopped the bike died at about 5 mph coming to a stop. It only happens when I come to a stop! I stayed home for an hour and need to go out so tried to start her and she wouldn't so I pop started her to get her going. Stupid, I know. She pop started, we went, we got to a stop light, she died. Pop started, bogged, went, stopped, died. At this point I said screw it, I'm going home. This time I couldn't pop start her on flat ground! After ten or so tries with no success I pushed her home. Today I went to my dealer and he said the seafoam ate up the bottom of the tank and crud is blocking the fuel flow so empty the tank, clean it and should be fine. I emptied the tank and the gas did have big red pieces of the old rubber gasket/seal between the petcock and tank. Took out that junk, cleaned the petcock filter and the filter in the gas line to the carbs. I put everything back together, added gas and she started right up! ran her about 100 yards and stopped and dead. Same EFFING problem. I can pop start her but I pop it, she's wicked boggy then goes fine but dies at a stop. I think my pilot jets are clogged and I have to clean those out now. Any other ideas? So
    I looked up seafoams number, you shoudl call them..ph952)938-4811
    they say that there product is petrolum based and this stuff shouldnt happen. you may have losen up a bunch of old crap and like you said, you have blockages now..

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
      I looked up seafoams number, you shoudl call them..ph952)938-4811
      they say that there product is petrolum based and this stuff shouldnt happen. you may have losen up a bunch of old crap and like you said, you have blockages now..
      from there site.

For more than 65 years, Sea Foam has been proven to be safe for use in all engines, both diesel and gasoline, and won’t harm gaskets, seals or other internal components of the engine, fuel system or oil system. Sea Foam is a petroleum blend with no chemical additives. Sea Foam is recommended by thousands of professional mechanics and service technicians throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Comment

Yesterday morning I put two ounces of seafoam into the tank which had somewhere around a half gallon of gas in it. Stupid, I know. :
        Didn't mean to imply seafoam is stupid. I think it was stupid to add seafoam to a basically empty tank then add gas and run it. Where do you think the blockages are? Pilot jets? Main jets? Somewhere else? Is this an easy fix?

Comment

That gasket sounds like it was on it's way out when you added the Seafoam

I'm surprised that enough material got through the inline filter to bog up the carbs, but it wouldn't take much to plug up a few jets. You might be able to use compressed air to blow all of the crud out if there isn't a pil eof crud in the bottom of the fuel bowls, but I think you are going to be looking at a full tear-down and cleaning, just for peace of mind. Not the end of the world, but you are going to be hard-pressed to get all four carbs cleaned and back in the bike by Saturday morning.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            but I think you are going to be looking at a full tear-down and cleaning, just for peace of mind. Not the end of the world, but you are going to be hard-pressed to get all four carbs cleaned and back in the bike by Saturday morning.
            I agree, I justed talked to seafoam and he also is surprised that something got past the filters. He also thinks the floats might have been deteriorated with that strong a mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              but you are going to be hard-pressed to get all four carbs cleaned and back in the bike by Saturday morning.
              Thank god it's supposed to rain all weekend

Comment

what kind of inline filter are you using? I would say that the flow through that filter has been compromised by the crud you clogged it with. I'm also thinking that its merely coincidence that this happened when you added Seafoam. I've been using it for years on EVERYthing that runs on gas and have never had an issue... Personally I would clean your tank out really well, and replace or eliminate that inline filter...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I agree, He also thinks the floats might have been deteriorated with that strong a mixture.
                  I doubt it -more likely, the seafoam freed up some gunk in bowls. I used 50/50 mixture down my son's ninja (funneled into gas line), ran it till it choked, and let it sit with no adverse effects.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi babes.

My tuppence worth coming...
                    I.think.its the filter...
                    Its getting clogged or covered in stuff and restricting the fuel flow...
                    Maybe the vowls aren't refilling as quiclky as they need to.

Try another (clean) filter or take it out completely and see what happens (dont do this if your tank is really rusty)

But even if you need to, its not difficult to strip and clean the carbs...
                    Ive just done my 10th complete strip, clean and rebuild in 1hour 5 mins.

hope that helps some.

Comment

Two things come to mind. The SeaFoam most likely cut stuff loose that was already stuck to the tank and in the carbs. If there was a lot of crud in the tank, the petcock screen could have gotten clogged. In either case, a thorough tank cleaning (possible sealing also), petcock cleaning and carburetor rebuild is in order. Until you are 100% sure they are all absolutely clean, it's just going to happen again. There are no shortcuts with the fuel delivery system. If you are using an inline filter, get rid of it. The petcock screen is more than adequate. If you have a big enough inline filter to do the job, the extra fuel line usually kinks or collapses in the restricted space you have for it.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X