reserve quit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reserve quit???

well today i ran out of gas..with it acting all dumb i switched it to reserve..coasted for a few an let the clutch out...

normaly i could go about my business..but not anymore some reason...

now it basically runs off a few cyclinders...if i put it on prime an sit for 30 secons or so with the bike off i can take off like normal..but if i switch back to res it starts acting stupid

i took my petcock apart an cleaned it...had some crap in it..

can out of adjustment floats cause my sudden reserve issuse? or a bad fuel filter maybe (was new about 6k miles or so ago)

Hi,

It could be that the petcock doesn't operate quite right on reserve, something still a little goofy with the diaphragm or spring. It cold also be that the inline fuel filter is too restrictive, or partially clogged. If your tank and carbs are truly clean then you don't need an inline filter. Inline filters are often too restrictive and can lead to fuel starvation.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Did you test the tank Off the bike, on Reserve?

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
        Did you test the tank Off the bike, on Reserve?
        nope was sitting on the bikehad a vac line an gas line ran out

Comment

Hi babes.
          As said down the page.
          Try without the inline filter (if the tank is rust free)
          I think ive had this problem recently, the bike ran fine, then the filter got a bit ov rust on it and the bike started running on 3, then 2,.... Then 1!....
          ...then it stopped...
          Once id sat for a bit it churned into life a bit, just enough to get home...
          Ive just checked the carbs and they are very clean, with no particles.in the jets or bowls so i think it myst have been the filter.

Hope that helps some.

Xxx

Comment

Very peculiar,
            You can test it on sidestand, hook a gas line to a container with more gas than the reserve amount is, pull off your vacuum line and with the petcock switched on suck on the vacuum line and watch the fuel flow, when it stops switch it over to reserve and do the same thing, it should flow about the same.
            If it doesn't I think there's a selector (4 hole rubber seal) under the petcock lever that routes the fuel from various positions, that may be restricted, dirty, or distorted for the reserve position.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
            X