Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to plug petcock holes while derusting tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to plug petcock holes while derusting tank?

Title says it all. I'm trying the vinegar method to remove the rust in the interior of my tank. I used Scotch automotive duct tape but it failed twice. Was gonna just slap the petcock back on there as a plug but the bolt O-rings disintegrated. I'll probably go get some new O-rings tommorow. But I thought I'd take a survey of people's opinions. I don't have access to a drill right now to fashion a homemade plate and gasket.

Also, while I'm at it, what's the best place to buy a new petcock or a rebuild kit for a 1977 GS750B ?

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Tank Cleaning: (with Evapo-Rust)

Then try Z1Enterprises.com for a new petcock or rebuild kit.

For more information, CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

Tank Cleaning: (with Evapo-Rust)

Then try Z1Enterprises.com for a new petcock or rebuild kit.

For more information, CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Thanks for the response. In your article using Evaporust, you mention using a rubber stopper on the petcock hole. How did you find one that was oval shaped ? My petcock opening is oval and I doubt a circular rubber stopper would work. They'd work well for the bolt holes though... But so would bolts and o rings...

Comment

I put a piece of bin liner over the top of the petcock, minus the filter, and bolted it back on.

Comment

1. Buy a bottle of champagne.
          2. Drink champagne.
          3 Whittle champagne cork to size and shape.
          4. Use cork to plug hole.
          5. Buy another bottle of champagne
          6. Drink champange to celebrate a clean tank and job well done.

Edit: This may not be the easiest or cheapest method, but it is the most fun, and my preferred method.

Comment

I make up a rough metal plate the same shape as the tap mount and cut a bit of rubber (old inner tube etc) to use as a gasket. This replaces the tap. Same for the fuel gauge sender.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              I make up a rough metal plate the same shape as the tap mount and cut a bit of rubber (old inner tube etc) to use as a gasket. This replaces the tap. Same for the fuel gauge sender.
              I also use this method.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

hey nessism what is the plug from you used on tank filler hole, i did same for petcock and sending unit, ???

Comment

Jeeeez, does anybody ever take the time to read a post properly before jumping in with with advice??
                  All I see are a bunch of posts talking about a home made blanking plate, I quote from the OP's post

I don't have access to a drill right now to fashion a homemade plate and gasket.
                  Dude, my original post was slightly in jest, but not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    Jeeeez, does anybody ever take the time to read a post properly before jumping in with with advice??
                    All I see are a bunch of posts talking about a home made blanking plate, I quote from the OP's post

Guilty as charged. Removed my post.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

These bikes are ~30+ years old, the internet is around 15, so all answers to everything on these bikes have been prerecorded and are deployed in a semi-automated fashion based on keywords. No one has time to thoroughly read every new post, work on their own bike, and ride.

Comment

You don't need a drill. A pair of scissors or a penknife can cut a rough metal plate. It doesn't need to be very thick - bottom of an old biscuit tin is what I use.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          You don't need a drill. A pair of scissors or a penknife can cut a rough metal plate. It doesn't need to be very thick - bottom of an old biscuit tin is what I use.
                          I could probably find some metal thin enough to cut without special tools. What's the best way to make the bolt holes? I really don't have any special tools in my location. They're all back in storage at home, far away.

One guy mentioned using a "bin liner" and the petcock after removing the filter. Is it easy to remove the filter? I haven't examined my petcock yet so I don't know. If it's easy, I'd use an inter tube and the original petcock if I could get the filter off. The inner tube would then act like a plug.

Comment

HH, what metal do they build your pommie bikes out of that you can cut with a scissor.
                            Wasn't it you who muttered about the British bikes having fasteners made of cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by treejay View Post
                              What's the best way to make the bolt holes? .
                              Just lay your bit of metal on top of a bit of soft wood, put a phillips screwdriver on the spot where you want the hole and give it a smack.

Originally posted by treejay View Post
                              Is it easy to remove the filter?
                              Yes - remove the fuel tap and the filter will just pull off, it's just a push fit.

HH, what metal do they build your pommie bikes out of that you can cut with a scissor.
                              It's the metal from the bottom of a biscuit tin, not off a bike.

Wasn't it you who muttered about the British bikes having fasteners made of cheese.
                              Yep. Demise of the British bike industry, they made money by saving on cost (or that was the idea). Up until 1970 the nuts and bolts on British bikes were well made - maybe a little confusing with the myriad of threads employed but the quality was good. From 1971, and particularly the advent of the OIF bikes, they must have used up all their existing nuts and bolts and employed Edam to manufacture new ones. For half a dozen or so years they were so crap it was a joke - you didn't bother buying a spanner, you went straight to the hacksaw. By the time they realised what junk they were using it was too late
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X