Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to plug petcock holes while derusting tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Yes - remove the fuel tap and the filter will just pull off, it's just a push fit.
    Are you sure? Is this true for all GS petcock filters? Attached is a pic of mine. I tried to gently remove it and then with moderate force, both with no success. I don't want to break it because that's an automatic new petcock purchase (which might be a possibility anyways). I want to remove it to make a plug to clean my tank (as described earlier this thread), but also to inspect and clean it thoroughly.

Comment

At least on my bike it is a simple pull off and push back on. To me, that petcock filter looks about shot anyway.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Here is a better pic. Is this filter/screen removable? If so, any tricks on how to do it?

Comment

Nevermind. Got it out. Thanks,

Comment

So, pray tell, so the next poor sod who does a search on it knows how this works.....

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by treejay View Post
              Thanks for the response. In your article using Evaporust, you mention using a rubber stopper on the petcock hole. How did you find one that was oval shaped ? My petcock opening is oval and I doubt a circular rubber stopper would work. They'd work well for the bolt holes though... But so would bolts and o rings...
              The cool thing about rubber is that when you shove it into a tight space it will usually expand to fill the area. I used a round rubber stopper in the oval hole. Just make sure it's big enough.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X