Exhaust Baffles--how much is enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Baffles--how much is enough?

Just replaced the aftermarket exhaust on my Marauder that was all scratched up and rusty with a nice pristine (visually) stock exhaust.

That said, the PO drilled out the last baffle in the stock exhaust, so it's a little loud for my taste when I get on the throttle. I have room for about 6-7 inches of baffle before I get to the first stage of the stock internal baffling.

I'm pretty confident that I can cut out some of the baffle from the aftermarket exhaust and make it work, but how much difference is 6-7 inches of baffle really going to make?

I'm trying to figure out if this would be a decent use of my time, or if I'd be better off trying to find another stock exhaust that isn't drilled out.

Before you cut up a baffle, look for one of the tubular baffles with can opener type slots, made to bolt in to a pipe.

I was able to restore sound and performance to original Suzuki mufflers by bolting in a set of them. If you find the baffles are too restrictive, bend the triangular tabs so they don't obstruct as much. Or vice versa.That way you can tune your exhaust restriction so you get acceptable sound, just the right amount of baffling , and avoid a carb rejet. It only takes a small bolt hole on the lower inside of the muffler to hold it in place. That way it is removable for adjustment, or replacement.

I did this when I cut off an unrestorable original muffler, and replaced it with an externally good one, that only needed baffles. I temporarily mounted it on the headers using reducers and clamps. Once I was satisfied I had it right, my local muffler shop did a weld job indistinguishable from factory, except for the lack of chrome. Hardly visible with the heat shields in place.

This was simple, cheap , and quick job. 20 bucks and 2 hours. I used 2 aftermaket baffles, about 4 inches long. Good luck finding a usable stock exhaust. Necessity is the mother of home made muffler adaptations.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Mac10:

Very interested in your tubular baffle solution. My pipes are original (850L) and the right-sided baffle has broken loose and is rattling around on the bottom. How did you get the old baffles out and put the new ones in without removing the end caps? Any further info or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Here is the story:

The muflers I used as replacements were not good inside, with the original factory baffles, but were good externally, with good chrome and no holes. Studying the original baffles by looking down the bore, I estimated how much the original baffles obstructed the bore. I then used tubular baffles sold for use in Harley pipes, and bolted them in to the front end of the Suzuki mufflers. I bent the triangular tabs down until I had what I judged to be close to the factory Suzuki baffling. Basically, replacing the factory baffles with fresh material, taking into account what was left of the originals.

I then mounted the mufflers on the stock headers, which were still good. I used off the shelf exhaust reducers from Canadian Tire to join them, with standard muffler clamps, the U shaped kind, and some muffler cement to seal the join. I rode them for a couple of weeks, watching for signs of richness and sound being off, until I decided they were suitable. I made one adjustment, bending the tabs down considerably.

I was carefull in cutting off the old muffler, and in fitting the cut ends together before my temporary set up, which made it easy to do a good weld for a permanent joint once I was done.

I thought of making baffles to go in the back of the mufflers, instead of the front. That would involve making cross shape pieces of sheet metal, sized so the wings of the cross, when bent, would press fit into the muffler bore, leaving a big enough set of four holes to get the flow just right. That idea has the advantage of being maintainable without cutting anything, replacing the press fit baffle if needed. This time, I found it easier to go with tubular baffles, given I had to cut off the old hole filled mufflers anyway.

Sound is quiet, and flow is good. Initially it was too rich from too much restriction. No doubt sophisticated muffler engineers have specs as to how much flow the original mufflers had, along with engineering drawings. My attempt was expedient for a backyard bush mechanic.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Hi babes.
          If you can see them or feel them.... Or hear them.....

....you got too much!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

Xxx

Comment

Working...
          X