question on shimming the needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
    Craftsman needle nose pliers # 45664 work for me {black & gold}. I pull the needle down from the bottom against the little spring and grab it with vice grips then put the circlip in with the pliers which fit the holes perfect. I dont know about leaving the circlip out, youre on your own there
    Sears didn't have those pliers in stock..so I filed down a pair of needle nose pliers I had until they fit into the circlip holes. Your vice grip tip was a big help. Don't know why I didn't think of that on my own, but it made installing the rest of the clips much easier.

The carbs are back together. I'll button up the bike tomorrow and see how it rides. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Comment

@7981GS- Weight?!? No.
      @AJ- The key is proper fitment. It doesn't bind, is free to rotate, just not go up and down, and when you consider the environment the needle is in with the intake air and engine vibration, that needle is shaking a bit.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        @AJ- The key is proper fitment. It doesn't bind, is free to rotate, just not go up and down, and when you consider the environment the needle is in with the intake air and engine vibration, that needle is shaking a bit.
        In mechanical design, it's very common to "float" a part when you have multiple alignments with some parts held rigidly. In this case, you have the main jet fixed and the slide moving in a precision bore. Floating the needle lets the needle self-align to the jet. Note that the needle itself only goes through a small hole in the slide and it's a loose fit, rather than trying to rigidly lock it to the slide.

That said, the main purpose for the spring is to set the height of the needle relative to some reference (the height of the retainer clip), but I wouldn't discount the self-aligning feature of the spring arrangement. I've seen jets worn oval by needles even with them spring loaded. YMMV.

Comment

I agree on the principle of floating the needle. The method I outline allows that. Even more so than having the small spring preloading it.
          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
          X