'79 GS1000 plastc main jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS1000 plastc main jets?

Hello. I just got a '79 GS1000E out of a barn. I don't know anything about the bike's history, but it's complete (except for the gauges) and seems to be in really good shape and appears to be a low-mileage example. I tore down the carbs for a routine cleaning and I noticed that the main jets are made of plastic.
    This is the first GS that I've owned, but I've been working on all types of vintage Japanese bikes for a long time and this is the first time I've came across plastic main jets.
    Are these normal, or some sort of aftermarket anomaly? I think that I'll be replacing them with traditional brass ones. Just curious. Thanks.

I can't speak for the stock GS jets, but I've seen them in miscellaneous older carbs before. I would imagine that modern ethanol gas might destroy the plastic.

Comment

My 78 had brass jets.Never seen plastic jets in 30 years of mucking with motorcycles.

Comment

Never heard of plastic jets, very odd. Would love to see a picture. My 79 1000 had brass mains just like all the other GS carbs.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          My 78 had brass jets.Never seen plastic jets in 30 years of mucking with motorcycles.
          I have ...Have a bunch in my jet stash ....They came in some of the jet kits of the day...

Comment

Originally posted by TheRadBaron View Post
            ...I tore down the carbs for a routine cleaning and I noticed that the main jets are made of plastic...
            nah.... surely not

Comment

I've never seen plastic jets in a motorcycle, but it's very common in carbs for lawnmowers and weedwackers. A major cost saver for the manufacturer, which also seems to turn an otherwise useful yard tool into a worthless piece of junk after 2 - 3 years.

Change your jets to brass.

Comment

That's the plan. Thanks.
                Sparki, what do you mean? The jets are most certainly made of some sort of plastic.

Comment

I think he was commenting on the routine carb cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                  X