tank swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tank swaps?

what tanks are interchangeble on a 750L I would like to get a cafe style tank, r make one out of a gsx tank or find a xr69 tank if they will fit? does any other bike tanks fit easily does any one know or has anyone travelled this road before? I want to have a skinnier longer tank or something with knee dents? is there after market tanks? if i cut the sides off tank and then roll some sheet metal to cave in the sides... what do i do with the petcock? do you have to run with out one if change the profile of the tank?? sorry for all the random questions the ideas kept coming while i was typing!!! lol

tank swaps

I just want to tag on to this thread with additional questions. I have an 80 GS1000GL & am curious if all the L tanks are interchangable?
    I bought this bike new in '80 & am attempting to revive it after leaving it sit in my garage for 17 years. The tank is really nasty inside.
    Thanks!

Comment

First, try a parts search to see if the tank matches another model. That will broaden your sources for a replacement or second tank.

Tanks are not generally interchangeable since they have to fit the frame and provide mounting points for bolts. You can weld on bolt brackets for the mounting points if you can weld, but the channel shape under the tank needs to fit well to secure it.

I reshaped two tanks to add some cafe-style knee-dents, eliminate the fuel door and fill in the indented area under the stock fuel door. If you do any banging on a tank, make sure to put some wood blocks and spreaders in the frame channel and the cup ears to keep them from creeping inward, or the tank will not fit on the frame until you spend ages using spreaders and ratchets to push the channel back into shape. AMHIK

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        First, try a parts search to see if the tank matches another model. That will broaden your sources for a replacement or second tank.

Tanks are not generally interchangeable since they have to fit the frame and provide mounting points for bolts. You can weld on bolt brackets for the mounting points if you can weld, but the channel shape under the tank needs to fit well to secure it.

I reshaped two tanks to add some cafe-style knee-dents, eliminate the fuel door and fill in the indented area under the stock fuel door. If you do any banging on a tank, make sure to put some wood blocks and spreaders in the frame channel and the cup ears to keep them from creeping inward, or the tank will not fit on the frame until you spend ages using spreaders and ratchets to push the channel back into shape. AMHIK
        Good idea about two tanks might try that but they arent cheap to buy over here. I was thinking I would try to spend the same money on one that was already done from the states than spend four hundred on a crap used one here... Im a fabricator so I should be fine tearing into the tank but I dont do too much sheet metal so its a bit daunting. Do you have pics of your tank build I quite like it and I might try something similar

Comment

Working...
        X