Broken exhaust bolt. Can I do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken exhaust bolt. Can I do this

So I've got a broken exhaust bolt. I have about 1/2" sticking out. I could try to find a ramp, load it in the truck and take it to a welder,,and pay him to weld a nut on and hope that works. Or,,,could I maybe try some red loc-tite. I know blue you can get loose, and supposedly you have to use heat to get red loose. Is it worth a try,,,or sounds like a waste of time and money. Thanks.

Can you get a vise grip pliers on it? A picture would help.

Comment

vise-grips, penetrating oil, heat, and patience.....go slow take your time, apply heat, apply penetrating oil, try and turn, repeat as necessary

do not rush it........you will break it

then you will see a loss of time and money........ask me how I know

Comment

I've been soaking it with PB Blaster for a week. Last 2 day's with Kroil oil. The vise-grips just keep slipping off. And yes,,I cleaned the lube off,,,lol. I have not used heat because I would have to buy a torch. I can do that when I get paid, but I thought I might get lucky with the red loc-tite,,,and it's cheaper. I hate to use the vise grips and trash the thread's since I was at least able to get a nut on it and could weld it on.

I tried to double nut it, but the nut's were too thick. So I ground them down to half thickness. Well now I can't get a wrench on the first nut to tighten it against the second. So back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the suggestion's.

I'll post a picture when I get home.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

is there enough to get 2 nuts on ? if so you can lock them onto the broken stud and use them to try and remove the stud

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            is there enough to get 2 nuts on ? if so you can lock them onto the broken stud and use them to try and remove the stud

Look up.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
              Look up.
              you edited your post...lol, before I made my post...LOL

you can get a cheap wrench and grind it down... ?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

After you get it out, change to studs.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

You can heat the bolt with a propane or MAP torch, and those are not terribly expensive. That and vice-grips, penetrating oil, etc. should get you there. Go real slow and worry the bolt a fair bit.

If it does snap, you can drill it out with some lefty bits. Do not use an "EZ-Out" as they always break, cannot be drilled out, and are the stuff of Satan.

Seriously, EZ-Outs make the Baby Jesus cry.

Comment

Weld the nut. Also get a small torch, costs less than $20.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                      You can heat the bolt with a propane or MAP torch, and those are not terribly expensive. That and vice-grips, penetrating oil, etc. should get you there. Go real slow and worry the bolt a fair bit.

If it does snap, you can drill it out with some lefty bits. Do not use an "EZ-Out" as they always break, cannot be drilled out, and are the stuff of Satan.

Seriously, EZ-Outs make the Baby Jesus cry.
                      Man MisterC a ez-out made me cry... these bikes just dont lik'em... and now either do i.. Rob

Comment

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.

I bought a torch. It is not turning it red hot. Maybe I didn't leave it on there long enough, it sure seemed like it though. Maybe I need map gas. I tried it several time's. But.... Ya all see that gasket. I'm afraid of trashing it. Then I'll be pulling the head to change a gasket.

I said to hell with it and used red loc-tite. If that doesn't work I'll get the nut welded.

Wish me luck.

Comment

You have a good amount of bolt to work with... I dont know if you need red hot... don't think so.. I think the heat is to get the aluminum hole to expand more than the steel bolt and give the bolt some room... but I don't think red hot is required. .. I'd ask other members. Pound on the bolt a LITTLE bit to jar it loose and keep soaking with PB . I only have about half the thread you do on my #1 cylinder... I will try welding, but it will probably take a left hand bit for mine to come out.

Where is a good place to order the studs?

Comment

Originally posted by twotimeGSr View Post
                            Where is a good place to order the studs?

Make sure that you get the grade 12.9 studs and 10.9 nuts.

Eric

Comment

By doing a search, I read a post where the members were saying get the bolt red hot. It won't do it with my torch. Again. Maybe I'm just afraid to leave it on there long enough. I've been leaving it on there for about 30 seconds. I sure hope I didn't all ready trash the gasket.

I got these exhaust manifold studs at O'reilly's for $8. They wanted $13 for the exact same thing at Advanced.

They don't say anything about the grade. But they are exhaust bolt's. They even have a fancy lock nut. Do you think they will be ok. I'm sure they'll get me going. They are a little long. I'm going to see if I can find some shorter one too.

Comment

Working...
                              X