Why do pods "cough"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do pods "cough"?

I have seen threads about pod spitting or coughing as a lean symptom.

My pods will sporadically cough and suck in a big gulp of air, causing a slight stumble that disappears after the cough. It happens only rarely, and I haven't figured out what scenario triggers it or even what circuit might be the culprit.

While I root out this hiccup, what about the carb function causes this to happen in the first place? It feels like the carb is starved for air (like a person with asthma even) and that the pop clears it out. It's not spitting fuel and sounds feels like the pop is air going into the system, not something backfiring out through the pod.

What's the science to this?

I actually am just interested in the replies.........sorry.

But could it be from the length of the intake being so much shorter than stock? Maybe causing a hiccup in the intake pulses? Obviously just a guess.

Comment

The first part of the science is to either make a mental or physical note pertaining to when the "Hiccup" occurs.

How far open was the throttle, how fast were you going, what gear were you in, etc....

Any information you can gather will eventually solve your problem

Comment

Hi babes.
        I know.from experience, this cough happens at idle more than under.load....
        It jyst spits back every now and again...
        Ive never worked.out exactly why this happens...
        Sorry.
        But im interested too...

Xxx

Comment

And it's not just pods.

Last year, I put adapters on the carb sync fittings to make the carb sync process easier. A couple of "coughs" later, the rubber caps were history and I had a SERIOUS air leak. This actually happened while on a ride. I happened to notice a missing cap when I looked down at a stop to see why the engine was not running "right". Stopped at Auto Zone, got a rubber cap assortment, got back to the motel, took the adapters off.

This was on "Junior", a mechanically-stock '80 850G(K).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            And it's not just pods.

Last year, I put adapters on the carb sync fittings to make the carb sync process easier. A couple of "coughs" later, the rubber caps were history and I had a SERIOUS air leak. This actually happened while on a ride. I happened to notice a missing cap when I looked down at a stop to see why the engine was not running "right". Stopped at Auto Zone, got a rubber cap assortment, got back to the motel, took the adapters off.

This was on "Junior", a mechanically-stock '80 850G(K).

Same happened to me. That is the reason I don't run those brass adapters anymore. I guess the airbox muffles the "cough".

Comment

The cough at idle is caused by being lean, to prove this to yourself turn the choke on a little bit, it goes away. I think somehow all of the fuel air mix between the head and the carburetor is burning, the next stroke there is none to burn in the cylinder, so the engine misses once, and after that it runs fine for a while, until it happens again. Not sure why this burning happens in the first place. Maybe a little piece of left over flame comes out the intake valve when it opens? There should not be any flames after the exhaust stroke, like I said I don't really understand it.

To prevent it, leave the choke on a little bit longer warming it up.
              If it does it with no choke on a warm engine richen the idle mixture a little bit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                The cough at idle is caused by being lean, to prove this to yourself turn the choke on a little bit, it goes away. ...

If it does it with no choke on a warm engine richen the idle mixture a little bit.
                Actually, it coughed a time or three while warming up on "choke", too.

Not hard enough to spit the cap off the adapter, though.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssbrazo View Post
                  The first part of the science is to either make a mental or physical note pertaining to when the "Hiccup" occurs.

How far open was the throttle, how fast were you going, what gear were you in, etc....

Any information you can gather will eventually solve your problem
                  That's what I am still working out. It doesn't happen consistently or predictably, so I am keeping an eye out to try and isolate what's going on when I have the cough -- e.g., throttle position, engine warm or cold, etc.

Also, when it does cough, it happens once only and then runs fine for quite a while.

The cough does not really happen at starting or idle. Maybe once during an initial warm-up, but not often. Most warm-ups, starts are fine. It seems more likely to emerge once the engine is warm and then during acceleration from a stop or very low speeds. With most (80%) of my riding in the city, I am always at a stop or low speed, so "low speed/stop-and-go" is not the end of the equation, or she'd be coughing like a beast. She doesn't.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  The cough at idle is caused by being lean, to prove this to yourself turn the choke on a little bit, it goes away. I think somehow all of the fuel air mix between the head and the carburetor is burning, the next stroke there is none to burn in the cylinder, so the engine misses once, and after that it runs fine for a while, until it happens again. Not sure why this burning happens in the first place. Maybe a little piece of left over flame comes out the intake valve when it opens? There should not be any flames after the exhaust stroke, like I said I don't really understand it.

It doesn't tend to happen at times where I could play with the choke, since I am riding. Also, when there is a cough, even if I could add choke, it would be impossible to tell the difference, because when it coughs, it coughs once and then behaves for quite some time.

Will continue to check plugs and play with the Colortune on the idle mixture, since my city riding puts me in that circuit most of the time. So far the plugs are reading pretty good. If anything, they still show a tiny bit rich. Not as rich as they were before my series of carb tear-downs, overflow problems, etc.

I wonder if it relates to the needle height, since I need to dig into that circuit anyway. Between my urban geography and still newbish riding skills, I am wary of the mid-range plug chop. There just aren't many good places to do that chop and safely pull over to inspect the hot plug without traffic, speed bumps, stop signs etc. Right now I have the clip in the 4th position with a shim, but I am not quite happy with the performance in the mid-range (even without the odd cough thing). Cannot tell if it's slightly flat or mildly bogging. I suspect the latter, if only because I was pretty aggressive on richening the upper circuit mixes. Of course, the plugs will tell the real story.

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                    Same happened to me. That is the reason I don't run those brass adapters anymore. I guess the airbox muffles the "cough".
                    I tried the vacuum linked "permenant" adapter mod. It seemed neat, but I prefer the longer adapters for synching. Then I snapped one of the "permanent" adapters the other day when reinstalling them after synching the slides. So I am back to the original vacuum port screws. Still have the random cough though.

Comment

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with an occasional cough, and not running the stock airbox, or pods. Maybe it has something to do with area 51, northern lights, bermuda triangle, or that dam sasquatch!
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic
                      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                        Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with an occasional cough, and not running the stock airbox, or pods. Maybe it has something to do with area 51, northern lights, bermuda triangle, or that dam sasquatch!
                        Who would steal 30 bag lunches?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                          Who would steal 30 bag lunches?
                          I'll tell you who! It's that damn sasquatch!

Comment

Originally posted by ssbrazo View Post
                            I'll tell you who! It's that damn sasquatch!
                            Consider me Miles Davis.

Comment

Not sure what this adds to the mix but ny needles are one clip higher than standard and im running 142.5 main jets... With 3 turns on the mixture screw...
                              Also ive sheathed the pods with short pieces ov old inner tube so only 15-20% air is flowing into the carbs..
                              So im reallt not sure the cough is happening because ov a lean muxture....
                              Xxx
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X