No announcement yet.

expected mpgs for a 1978 suzuki gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another factor is that the smaller engines are designed to work better at high RPM, more so than the bigger bikes. Intake ports, cam overlap, carb and valve diameters, exhaust back pressure, combustion chamber size and shape, and a hundred other engineering parameters are all optimised to make power at high RPM, as that's what it takes to get positive press in the cyle magazines. A 550 designed from the ground up for economy might get 90 mpg, but it wouldn't matter, they would never have sold any.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
      Wait, huh!?! First off, lets say that your not getting "tire size miscalculations" as stated above. You really have to be accurate on mileage to gallons.

1. Fill the tank to the bottom of the inner lip.
      2. Ride it for however long, lets say 112.3 miles when you pull back into the gas station.
      3. Fill it back to the inner lip of the fill hole.
      4. take the EXACT amount of fuel you put in, and divide the EXACT number of miles you rode (ie. 112.3 divided by 2.76 gallons).
      5. THAT number is how many miles your getting per gallon.

Like stated above .10 of a gallon can change that number by 3-4 mpg...
      So if you put 3.86 gallons and just divide it as 4 gallons it will throw you calculations down quite a bit.
      What he said.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
      X