Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb caps

Hello all.....

I am wondering, are the caps all very similar and or interchangeable, or not

mine are plastic and I painted them black, trevor as you can see has the aluminum ones and polished

can I get a set of caps from any carbs, assuming similar model and use them on mine, or am I stuck with the plastic caps....?

mine

what I would like
    thanks for the picture trevor.....

I, too, have seen plastic and aluminum, as well as steel. Not sure which bikes get which caps.

I have some spares at home that are from BS32 carbs on an 850. If you are interested, and can wait a bit, I can get them to you. I will not be home for another two and a half weeks.

What are the dimensions of the cap? The overall diameter would be good, as well as spacing between the bolt holes.

If you are interested in them for their SHINE factor, that can be arranged, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info and the offer Steve....

one of our members here on the site, has a set of carbs, they are for a 1982 GS850G and those carbs have the aluminum tops, if they fit, I can probably get them from him for a small fee, maybe even for free, swap mine for his.

I know the bolt spacing is something to look at, but I was more concerned if the height of the cap is the same, will it apply the same pressure to the spring, or will it not matter, will it cause any clearance issues with the diaphragm's movement or not

but if I do strike out here with "ram" I will talk to you about your offer...

Cheers

Comment

Different caps/springs/thickness of cover/slide diaphragms/inside diameters also.
        And as Steve stated, center to center bolt spacing on the caps.
        I can post some pic's later. I have been meaning to do so for some time now anyway.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Different caps/springs/thickness of cover/slide diaphragms/inside diameters also.
          And as Steve stated, center to center bolt spacing on the caps.
          I can post some pic's later. I have been meaning to do so for some time now anyway.

Eric
          well now it sounds complicated....

maybe I will get the caps from ram, just to see the fitament

until you get those measurements done

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            one of our members here on the site, has a set of carbs, they are for a 1982 GS850G and those carbs have the aluminum tops, if they fit, I can probably get them from him for a small fee, maybe even for free, swap mine for his.
            No problem, just let me know.

Will his caps be polished? I'm sure you have seen what I can do.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

nice work Steve

nope, his will not be polished, they are off an old set of carbs, so dirty and oxidized, but I am sure I will get them somewhat decent, I have done a bit of polishing, some things better some things not so much, it all depends on how much time I want to spend on the parts

some of my attempts

some so so, some OK, but I can live with them all, after a few wipes, they all get minute scratches, and if I leave a few myself, I don't feel so bad when new ones shoe up....LOL
              Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

this was a fun one to do....

from this

to this

even the small parts

Comment

OK, no need for ME to polish them, you apparently do quite well on your own.

Just let me know if you need them.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Well I try,,,,LOL

but I will keep you in mind if I need the caps

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X