Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suddenly Started Smoking, Petseal Strikes Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly Started Smoking, Petseal Strikes Again?

Hello everyone, I sorted my exhaust the other day (tapped a new stud etc. and tightened it all up) then started it with a funnel of fuel and it was smoking, not clouds of it but enough, light bluey grey, it wasn't doing it before I did the exhaust, and I don't think the tiny exhaust leak out of one flange would be enough to throw the jetting out enough for it to smoke like that, or could it?

I'm hoping that it's from where I had that crappy tank sealant in that melted away. Does any one else have any experience with starting after a tank sealant failure?

I obviously stripped and cleaned the carbs, and the tank is still curing from being re-lined. I did try really hard to start it without knowing the liner had failed, checked the plugs were getting wet, checked for sparks etc. so the cylinders will have had a good coating of contaminated fuel. I'm doing the fork seals and oil tomorrow and I'll probably put the tank back on Saturday, should I give it a blast round the neighbourhood to see if that clears it?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2012, 01:11 AM.

The smoke is nothing to do with the tank sealant.

How is the oil level? Maybe it's a little high as a result of fuel getting in there?

Or most likely the smoke is just a little puffing past the valve seals as sh'e sat a while.

If the oil level is ok and the gearbox doesn't smell of petrol I would give her a run and see what happens.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi babes.
      HH i wouldnt be too dismissive ov the remains ov the crappy tank sealent...
      when it happened to my tank, the goo got everywhere! Including around the intake valves!
      It was all sticky and black like thin tar...
      But, the good news is that it vurnt off pretty quickly once the bike had had all the stuff taken out ov thw tank and the carbs stripped and cleaned, yet again... And i'd gone for a blat.
      The gooy stuff did kill my sparkplugs... Had to get new ones as they all started arcing out!

Good luck with ya carbs.
      Xxx

Comment

HH Oil is fine, I don't think it was oil smoke, too grey and billowy and didn't have the smell, and it sat for 12 years before I got her and didn't smoke at all, this is the first time ever. Seana23 I think you're right, I thought my plugs were getting sooty very quick, but thinking about it, I reckon they were coated in the black gloop. Saturdays sorted then, poor neighbours.

Comment

I thought you were thinking that the sealant might have caused some damage; it won't have done that. However, you could have gloopy sticky crap all the way through your inlet side and it could be that burning off, as you and Seana reckon.

Just run it and see what happens. Did you clean your tap and fuel line as well as the carbs?
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yes I cleaned the lot, got the forks done today then put the tank on and couldn't start it, plugs are sparking, albeit weak as the bike hasn't had a decent run to charge the battery yet, but they are shiny black (will probably end up getting some new ones, again) and there is no fuel getting to them, I've held my hand over the back of the carbs and it's getting wet with fuel, I think I might have to get at the valves tomorrow and see what's going on, I'll adjust them while I'm in there, I don't really know how there can be no fuel getting in there when the engine is turning over. It did have an occasional cough, very occasional, as if it was about to start so some fuel must have got in somewhere, I'm hoping there'll be some dried bits of petseal blocking valves somehow and that it will all peel off in one easy piece. Not likely I know.

Comment

Didn't get time to do it today as my car decided to eject it's gearbox oil all over my street, but did get it started, firing on one cylinder, I know this because exhausts 1,2,3 were cool and number 4 removed all the prints from the first two joints worth of all my fingers. What a crappy day, early night tonight I think.

Comment

Hi babes. Not sure if its linked at all but my sparkplugs needed changing after all the crap had gone through....
                They were sparking but off to one side.. New plugs went well til more rust got sucked through the filter...
                Im saving up.for Caswels tank sealent... As uts guarenteed against Ethanol... CASWELLS OR POR-15 Are the ONLY ONES!!!
                hope that helps some.
                Xxx

Comment

Hi Seana, I went for KBS I think? I left the dried contents in the tin soaking in fuel for about 4 or 5 days now and it is still rock solid, it's guaranteed against ethanol too, and as long as it lasts then I'll be well happy with it, was much easier to use than the two part stuff and is half the price of caswells and POR 15, though I don't doubt how good the POR 15 is, I used it on my old Land Rover chassis and it was superb.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X