CV carb float pin removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV carb float pin removal

I have posted this before but some may not have seen it and it may not be in the carb tutorial yet.
    As I just happened to be doing a set, I thought that I would try to record it, again.

A procedure that a lot of people seem to mess up and break one or both of the float pivot stems.Using a spring-loaded punch is the technic that I use both to...

Eric

Nice that you made the video Eric but Ed's procedure is a lot simpler in my opinion
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Also, of you don't support the other post it CAN snap off. Ray.

Comment

Cowboy, with all of the sets of CV carbs that you have worked on in the past 30 years,
        do you also grease the tract that the throttle cable rides in with synthetic grease to help prevent cable failure also?

Comment

Cowboy, while I have your expert advice available, what is your take on my using anti-seize or grease on the intake manifold clamp screws and idle screw?
          Good idea or a waste of time?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            I have posted this before but some may not have seen it and it may not be in the carb tutorial yet.
            As I just happened to be doing a set, I thought that I would try to record it, again.

A procedure that a lot of people seem to mess up and break one or both of the float pivot stems.Using a spring-loaded punch is the technic that I use both to...

Eric
            Really Cool thanks for that.
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Also, of you don't support the other post it CAN snap off. Ray.
              +1 to this. The pin has the press fit on the head end. That's the one that needs support. Also, don't slip and stab your thumb with the punch.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The spring punch looks like a fine solution only supporting the float post first just to be safe is advised.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Once I get a set of pins out for the first time I don't seat them completely when reassembling. The pins won't go anywhere and then I can get a small pocket knife or screwdriver under the head of the pin to get them out easily from then on.

Comment

I bought one of those spring loaded punches a while back based on kparkfans suggestion for this very reason. Darn handy idea, though I wish I could find a punch with a slightly weaker spring on it. I also double Ed and Rays sentiment on supporting the post with something to prevent that horrible "oops". Been there and learned the bad way.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      Once I get a set of pins out for the first time I don't seat them completely when reassembling. The pins won't go anywhere and then I can get a small pocket knife or screwdriver under the head of the pin to get them out easily from then on.
                      Mee.too..
                      X

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        I bought one of those spring loaded punches a while back based on kparkfans suggestion for this very reason. Darn handy idea, though I wish I could find a punch with a slightly weaker spring on it. I also double Ed and Rays sentiment on supporting the post with something to prevent that horrible "oops". Been there and learned the bad way.
                        Aren't these adjustable? the back is a knurled nut, lefty loosey and righty tighty?
                        Mine is.
                        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                        X