Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding GS650G - slowly

Hello all,

I am almost done with rebuilding my 1981 GS650G, but I am stumped at the moment. Attached to the underside of the fuel tank are two long hoses, which I do not know where they attach to. Can anyone give me help?

Please note, my brother-in-law disassembled the bike, then let it sit like that for 5 years before I was able to legally get the bike from the father-in-law. This explains why I have no clue where these black hoses go to.

Thanks for your help,
    Morgolf

The smaller one is a vacuum line to the center port on #2 (?) carb (depending upon the carb style) and the larger one goes to the "T" between #2 and 3 carbs.

Comment

Riding Again,

Thanks for your help. I have already put the smaller hose on the #2 carb. But I have two longer hoses. I will look again for the T between #2 and #3 Carbs, but that still leaves me with another long tube coming from the fuel tank. Could this be an overflow line?

Thanks,
      John

Comment

Do you have a fuel gauge on that bike? Can you take a picture of what you are referring to as I think it's the overflow from the gauge.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

one of the long hoses is for the gas to drain away under the bike in case the seal around the fuel gauge sending unit developes a leak the other hoses should go to the vacuum and the other to the main fuel supply on the carb. only 1 should be really long and thats the drain hose the other 2 are approx. 6-7 inches long or so. I've owned 3 of these bikes 80, 82, and my current ride an 83 and they are all the same. I can post a pic if your still unsure. the long hose isnt shown in diagragm but it attaches at the gauge sending unit to under the bike.

Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I thought that I was losing it! I have the two smaller hoses connected to the carbs, but was unsure about the longer hose. I rechecked and only have one long hose which somehow I thought was two.

Thank you again. Now to go wrench on the petcock...

One more question please? Where do you get a battery? I can go to Suzuki, but wanted to know any other options.

Thanks again.
            John

Comment

Walmart, OReillys, Autozone, Batteries Plus, the web, etc etc etc
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

One step forward, twenty back...I finally got power to the bike (with a new battery) but as soon as I turned the petcock to on, gas came pouring out the carbs. I am guessing this may be related to the hoses, most likely the T between the #2 and #3 carbs.

I will have to take out the air filter and box to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by morgolf View Post
                  One step forward, twenty back....
                  It's likely that carb fun awaits you- keep your eye on crankcase oil level, as gas in here is trouble (might already be there). head to this link

Edit; petcock lever pointing down is "on" (gas flows only when engine is running)
                  petcock lever pointing to rear is "prime" (gas flows at all times, so it's up to carbs to stop it)
                  Last edited by tom203; 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM. Reason: more info
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Was the gas tank and the carb float bowls empty before the bike was stored? Same thing happened to me one time when the floats got stuck, and the carbs overfilled with gas.

Comment

bbytes,

When I was able to get the bike, it had already been sitting for 6 years with gas still in the tank. Most of the gas evaporated from the carbs, but left the residue. I had already disassembled the carbs once and rebuilt, but perhaps there was some gas residue left on the floats.

Still disappointed in the results from yesterday. Have to find time to get the carbs out now.

Bah.

Comment

Update: Removed the carbs and found a float sticking. I cleaned them out again and then realized that I had no vent tubes...Out to the store on Monday to pick some tubing up at the local Suzuki shop.

Sometime next decade I may have the bike finished.

Comment

Next problem...I tested the carbs to make sure the floats worked, and they did, but when I tried to start the bike, no go. I have a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, cleaned carbs, new air filter. The bike cranks, just does not turn over or start. Any ideas? I just need a starting point of where to look.

Thanks.

Comment

So how did you clean these carbs? After six years, they are likely to need extensive care- lots of tiny passages that gunk up real easy and prevent enought mixture from heading to cylinders.

Mistercinders has good starting point; go to first post in this thread

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by morgolf View Post
                              The bike cranks, just does not turn over or start. Any ideas?
                              The only idea that I have is to clear up some terminology.

I have always thought that "crank" is pretty much the same as "turn over".

Obviously, if it is doing either one of them (or both), but not FIRING, it won't start.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X