2 carbs broken on 82 gs850g- replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 carbs broken on 82 gs850g- replacement question

I brought my bike into a local shop to have the carbs cleaned out and synched. I got a call the next day about the carbs as they noticed something. Long story short- Carbs 1 and 2 starting from the left side to the right were damaged.

Carb number 1's diaphram bowl has a chunk broken off of it. Carb number 2's carb float post was broken and repaired by the former owner.

My quest is to find 4 new/old carbs to replace them with. Question here is what other suzuki bikes of the gs series can I use to replace them with.

By the way, they used jb weld to fix the broken piece on the diaphram bowl.
    Bike is working better than it did.

What is a diaphragm bowl?
    Never mind I think I got it
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

O.K., you have learned the primary lesson of owning a GS. NEVER, EVER take your bike to a shop. If you do not want to learn how to work on it, sell it and buy a newer bike.
      Second, chances are THEY broke the carbs and are blaming someone else. This is an expensive lesson, but one that can be overcome.
      Either buy a rebuilt set here or buy a used set off eBay and rebuild them yourself. Or pay someone here to do the work. There are several folk here that will do it for you. It is expensive, but they will be done right.

And you need GS 850 carbs, only.

Comment

I have a set off from my 80 gs850g that I would be willing to sell. I got them off from a non-running parts bike. They claimed to have fired it up for a minute or two a little while before I got it, but I am pretty sure they were blowing smoke. I can pop them apart and see what shape they are in at the end of the week if you'd like.

Also, if it is just the bowl, and nothing internal, then it is not a huge deal to just find someone who has a carb with broken internal parts and would be willing to sent the bowl to you. Just post up that you're looking for one in the wanted section and you will eventually get one. JB weld should hold up fine in the meantime.

Comment

There you go. Buy that set, rebuild it yourself for ~$50 (plus tools), synch them and you are gtg.

Comment

Working...
          X